If Your Child Refuses To Read Will They Pass VR ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pixiequeen

Re: If Your Child Refuses To Read Will They Pass VR ?

Post by pixiequeen »

Just wanted to echo what Katel said - my DD is nearly 8 - Year 3 and has only just started to read voluntarily. Her reading ability has always been fab -she was a free reader by the beginning of year 2, but has never enjoyed reading.

I worked out quite early that she has trouble tracking the print from the end of one line to the beginning of the next (she does wear glasses but I'm not sure it's just a vision thing) and books with a bigger type face definitely help. She is far less overwhelmed by less words on a page.

She is currently reading the Naughty Amelia Jane books (not suggesting your DS would enjoy them but you never know!) which I feel are way beneath her ability level - but the type is big and she is actually reading them of her own free will :shock: :D They are also lots of short stories rather than one long one.

Interestingly her teachers commented on how good her vocabulary was at the last parent's evening and were shocked when I said she never reads at home. :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

What's his reading age at the mo? If it's OK and he's reading non-fiction I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure I only read non-fiction and boys comics (yes - the comics for girls at the time just did not appeal!!) for many junior school years and it really wasn't a problem ...... passed superselective type exams and equivalent of A* in all language O' levels etc etc. I would just give up on any stuff about having to read fiction and maybe put some good fiction on CD in the car. Now I'm worrying that my children are not interested in non-fiction, only fiction!!!

Which bit of the Kent test requires a good vocab - is the VR so difficult without reading fiction - pretty sure my stepdaughter was a terrible reader and passed it well. I've seen her read once in the last 10 years.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks for the next batch of replies ! It's good to know it's relatively common.I do give him easy books to read but he's desperate to read the books his brother reads which he just can't keep up with ! I shalll have to try your ideas. I did try The Famous Five with DS1 but he found them boring ( I did too ) so maybe The Secret Seven will be better.He actually liked A Book Of Naughty Children by Enid ..maybe he was gleaning ideas ! Oh well, we can't be perfect at everything and I can't keep trying to get him to be !

I just look at all the books we have like Rotten School and Too Ghoul For School and know that he would love them ..it seems a shame they're just sitting on the bookshelf.Just feel exhausted at the mo and had a wobbly...feel I can't keep up with it all ! I'm at work so can't even have a nice glass of wine ! ( not that I would at this time anyway !)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes you've had a great batch of answers; I've just enjoyed reading them. I find it very reassuring. Trouble is I see myself having to start a thread in a few years time "can my child pass 11+ maths without being able to add or subtract?". I don't think the responses will be quite so reassuring.

From the things you say about him it doesn't sound as though his apparent lack of reading is going to hold him back in the 11+. I think both my children have got "middle child syndrome" as you call it and calculate to the nearest second exactly what the other child is doing in terms of schoolwork, play, TV etc. So it can't be cured my having more children - more's the shame as I do fancy a few more babies as with hindsight they seem so straightforward. Your son sounds very clever at not doing what he knows you would really love him to do, no matter how hard you try clever tactics. Mine are the same. I don't know why I said babies are straightforward though as as DD1 had the trait (of not doing the expected / desired / wanted) from day 1.

This effect is demonstrated to the extreme when a particular well-meaning and well-mannered relative visits; she tries to tell them things like "don't shout when you are singing, don't sit on the table, take your feet off the table, use your knife and fork, don't use that word that rhymes with heart, think of other people etc etc". The relative does not realise that they would rarely do these things when she is not around but they do so enjoy shocking her.

That's given me an idea as to how to solve all my reading problems too. I'll get some rude jokebooks, and next time she visits I'm sure they will delight in getting them out and reading them to her; no prompting from me will be required and flowery vocabulary will be developed.

No-one ever mentions what a hindrance a love of reading can be. I did a pure science degree and spent a lot of time in the library before finals. I read my way through some impressive English Literature; it did not help my final result.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Ah but Mystery, you are the wiser and better educated person for it! I read English Lit at uni and only now, having a very science boffiny boy do I know anything about science at all. he taught me the noble gases when he was about five. I had never heard of them until then. Which must be the equivalent of a scientist never having heard of Dickens.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Well, just back from my local toy shop where I picked up some lovely books....two about endangered / dangerous animals which DS looked at in the car on the way home.....a horrible history joke book which DD ruined by shouting out the punch line before he'd finished the joke and a really nice short story collection book called Half Minute Horrors , a bit like the goosebumps series but they are each 1 , yes, 1 page long !!! It says on the back each story takes just 30 seconds to read . He has read 2 stories already..erm all 2 pages ! but they are written by authors such as Lemony Snicket and have great vocab.

The best bit was they were all 2.99 each and 3 for 2...so money left over for me to spend on clothes for me..woo hoo !!!!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well they sound perfect; but I'm not so sure about your clothes from the local toy shop.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Well, I'm quite small , Mystery and I think the Snow white outfit is going to go down a treat at school pick up.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but just would like to say that my DD who is now in year 9, i'm ashamed to say hardly ever reads a book, it has been a battle for us ever since she started to read fluently. She did however get a score of 139 in her VR and is thriving at grammar school, so don't be too down hearted!
dani*

Post by dani* »

One of MY DD's doesn't read at all, despite the fact that she has a nice collection of books sitting on the shelf... she hates it.

Like a lot of parents in my position, we tried everything to get her to read. If she did as much as glance at the cover of a book we bought the whole series in desperation. Her sister now greatly benefits from this as she eats books...

Despite this, DD was a very good reader at the beginning of Primary school, it appears she just woke up one day and decided she hated reading and that was it...

In the end we had to give up trying to get her to read, you can bring a horse to water but you can not make it drink. We got some of the A&E vocabulary building books... which we really liked. Also we looked at suitable articles in magazines and local news papers, and highlighted words she didn't know. That way we constructed our own wordlist.

I think there is also a word list on this site here somewhere.

DD did well in VR in both the Kent and Bexley test.

Good luck. Try not to panic...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now