Grammar schools with no catchment criteria

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gaap

Grammar schools with no catchment criteria

Post by gaap »

Hi,

I live in Cambridge and my DD is going to sit for her Essex 11 plus in Nov 2011. Apart from Essex I am wondering what other Grammar schools I can apply for her where there is no catchment criteria. It would be really helpful if someone can send a list of these schools. Depending on the location we are considering to relocate.

Thanks
gaap
tokyonambu

Re: Grammar schools with no catchment criteria

Post by tokyonambu »

gaap wrote:Hi,

I live in Cambridge and my DD is going to sit for her Essex 11 plus in Nov 2011. Apart from Essex I am wondering what other Grammar schools I can apply for her where there is no catchment criteria. It would be really helpful if someone can send a list of these schools. Depending on the location we are considering to relocate.

Thanks
gaap
It depends on what you mean by "catchment". For the Birmingham KE schools, the distance from the front gate is a tie-break for equal marks, but otherwise there is no requirement that you reside in the LEA or even an adjoining LEA. Long drive up the A14, though.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

am sure we have had this question before for that area ... will have to hunt for the answer!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ooops sorry gaap- it was you that asked it!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Tiffin girls in Kingston Surrey and Henrietta Barnet in Hampstead Garden Suburb both have no catchment area. We know families who put both on the form and then moved closer to the one they got an offer from. DG
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

tokyonambu wrote:It depends on what you mean by "catchment". For the Birmingham KE schools, the distance from the front gate is a tie-break for equal marks, but otherwise there is no requirement that you reside in the LEA or even an adjoining LEA. Long drive up the A14, though.
Furthest I'm aware of at the moment is Derby :shock: - which is still quite a bit shorter than the daily commute from Cambridge...
gaap

Post by gaap »

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have to discuss with my husband and decide on the location before the application process begins. Looking at other posts in the forum, my understanding is that Slough and Reading grammar schools also have no catchment. Could someone please clarify?

Thanks
gaap
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Slough and Reading
There's a question about the Slough school in the Berkshire section at the moment which might give you your answer - it sounds as though it has changed recently and a certain number are located on distance, the rest just on score. I don't know about Reading, but someone will.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now