Once your child is consistently hitting 80%-90%......

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vasu

Re: Once your child is consistently hitting 80%-90%......

Post by vasu »

Preparing for an exam is akin to going for a battle.
"Train well.....or stand aside and do not mock, who fight".
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
katel

Post by katel »

'Preparing for an exam is akin to going for a battle.

****** **** - are you SURE you want to look at it like that?????????
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh, for goodness sake...who's to say what's right or wrong.As long as our children are happy ,then that should be our benchmark. I wouldn't like to say what everyone should/ or shouldn't do as I don't know any of you in real life and I wouldn't want to add to any stress or worry you may be feeling at this point .
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

scarlett wrote:Oh, for goodness sake...who's to say what's right or wrong.As long as our children are happy ,then that should be our benchmark. I wouldn't like to say what everyone should/ or shouldn't do as I don't know any of you in real life and I wouldn't want to add to any stress or worry you may be feeling at this point .
Well said. :D
vasu

Post by vasu »

katel wrote:'Preparing for an exam is akin to going for a battle.

****** **** - are you SURE you want to look at it like that?????????
I see it like that and so does my son. He is determined to be on top of things. I believe, do a task with utmost dedication or don't do it at all. Secondly it is my personal opinion and it does not matter to me whether you approve. Maybe 11+ exam in your part of the world is a walk in the park but not in ours.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

scarlett wrote:Oh, for goodness sake...who's to say what's right or wrong.As long as our children are happy ,then that should be our benchmark. I wouldn't like to say what everyone should/ or shouldn't do as I don't know any of you in real life and I wouldn't want to add to any stress or worry you may be feeling at this point .

I agree entirely, for these exams you do what you need to do. In our case we did the same as we had done before, which is different because the whole thing had moved on by 4 years. The beauty of a place like this is that there is an exchange of knowledge, which should hopefully help the new children coming up :D
katel

Post by katel »

Of course it;s not a 'walk in the park"

I'm talking about children who consistently hit 80-90%. You don;t get that free with your Rice Crispies.

But if they ARE at that level, why on earth do people keep pushing them?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I would have thought if a child is consistently scoring highly, then the work must be a breeze for them and so why would you consider the child is being harassed ? At that stage it must be one paper, great you've got them nearly all right, just watch your decimal points...off you go to roll on the floor with the dog.

We seem to be going round in circles, Katel ! Why are you worried some children on here are being pushed too hard ? What would your plan be at that stage ? Some constructive ideas please !
vasu

Post by vasu »

Can you guarantee, on a Bond paper, that hitting the 90% benchmark will get them into a Grammar school? We as parents want to leave no stone unturned. Please re-read push and pull mums's post once again. Her daughter did her best though she did not get through, there is no regret,no"what if I had worked harder" only a deep satisfaction that she did her best, whatever the outcome.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Vasu.....just carry on with what you are doing and in the way you want to do it as only you know how best your child works. It's only for a limited amount of time and then once it's all over they can relax and practically have all of year 6 to do nothing at all.That's the thought my son held on to when I produced yet another paper from my handbag.It hasn't scarred him and on the contrary , if he hadn't got into the school he was desperate to go to ( and don't forget, it's not necessarily the parents who are doing the pushing...children have dreams and aspirations too and often pull out all the stops themselves ) then I think he would have been devastated ...and how would you feel then ?
There's plenty of us on here who are nice and normal with likewise children and there're the people you want to take advice from .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now