2nd hand uniform

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Re: 2nd hand uniform

Post by pheasantchick »

My DS's grew bigger than the year older children who's cast-off we were being given!

Just a thought, instead of money, why don't you offer to babysit for the evening, or take the daughter out for the day/trip to the cinema etc. Then you ae not given a fixed value to the items, but returning one favour for another.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

pheasantchick wrote:My DS's grew bigger than the year older children who's cast-off we were being given!

Just a thought, instead of money, why don't you offer to babysit for the evening, or take the daughter out for the day/trip to the cinema etc. Then you ae not given a fixed value to the items, but returning one favour for another.
I think that's a very good idea. I do something similar with my neighbours. They often hand on clothes, books, and games as they have a son and daughter older than my two. I don't give them any money but I will offer favours instead - sometimes babysitting - recently a trip for my children and theirs to the local bowling alley.
marigold

Post by marigold »

A friend of mine was emigrating to a hot country. She invited me round to have a look through all her children's clothes and to help myself to any winter coats etc that would suit my children. While there, she gave me some toys and books that they did not intend to take with them. I then took her out to lunch to say thank you.
About a week later I received an email containing a bill for all the items I assumed she had " given" me.
I have not kept in touch.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

thanks everyone for their replies.......think I'm going to go with some money, as I dont really know her kids that well, I'm thinking £50 and hope that will be ok, I see it as we are doing each other a favour, she gets rid of uniform she no longer needs, plus has a bit of cash towards her next one, and my dd gets fitted out for school at a bargain price :D
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Magigold thats just awfull...., my neighbours are always given us their unwanted clothes, she would never dream of taking any cash from me...however I always buy her kids big birthday pressies :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I think I must associate with the wrong type of person. Any clothes given to me are those you wouldn't even acknowledge giving to a charity shop....you know the ones you would dump in a black bin bag outside the door pretending you hadn't noticed the sign telling you not to do so.I've received mustard yellow t shirts for the boys , dirty fairy outfits for DD and also once , grey knickers. :shock:

I'm wondering now what that says about me.
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Scarlett thats just horrible but funny :D , my kids are very used to hand me downs...and I have to say all in lovely condition :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm wishing now someone would offer me some decent second hand uniform...I can't believe how expensive it is all ending up...just ordered all the shirts, trousers etc from Marks but will need to buy his blazer and a rather extensive pe kit from the school shop...I did ask DS if he could perhaps do his pe in his pants and vest like the good old days but he just looked horrified, until I said I was joking.Also DS2 and DD seem to have burst out of their uniforms all at the same time...aaaargh
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Scarlett, it's worth asking if the school uniform shop sells school badges for the blazer on their own. Ours does & you can get a plain blazer somewhere else. Also our PE t shirts have a school logo on them but I've just bought one and a pack of plain polo shirts. It doesn't seem to matter. It's worth not buying too much until he starts & you find out how things really work. Exciting getting it all though. You do realise that the PE kit will go missing at least once in the first term? :D Sorry to hijack the thread :oops:
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now