Anyone's child take 11 plus mock exam in Rugby today?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jacquie

Anyone's child take 11 plus mock exam in Rugby today?

Post by jacquie »

Some children I know have sat a mock 11 plus exam this week set by a tutoring organisation in Rugby. The organisation claim it to be an accurate model of the actual 11 plus exam. The results are given to the parents, the purpose being to identify weak areas, to practice/cram. I think personally it is a bit late in the day; If the student does badly- panic may ensue causing actual 11 plus performance to be affected by extra nerves, or if the result is 'good'- over confidence may affect the actual exam performance . I wondered what experiences people have, if any. Do forum contributors consider the mock exam a negative or positive thing. How can they actually know better than anyone else, what the exam is likely to consist of- other than the outlined subject matter? So, are their claims to be like the exam justified. ? We know papers are guarded with utmost secrecy.
guest201

Re: Anyone's child take 11 plus mock exam in Rugby today?

Post by guest201 »

Hi Jacqui,
I had no idea there were any mock exams held in Rugby, it is interesting to hear, I personally think that the only value of a mock 11plus is to get the children used to being in exam conditions in an unfamiliar place. Many people on this forum advise that the school you want your child to get into shouldnt be the first exam they take. For Warks kids this is quite difficult as the exam is quite early and there are not really any other exams they can take before as practice, I know quite a few Birmingham kids take to Warks exam as practice because it is before the Bham exam. I think it is debatable whether the questions would have been similar to the questions they will encounter in the real exam.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Yes I think that makes sense. However, one child I know is completely devastated by her result, so much so I think she will be a nervous wreck for the 11 plus. Looking at the 'results' sheets they give parents afterwards, it is quite meagre and gives what the 'pass rate' was last year in the 11 plus for the section 'analysed' & what the child scored in this 'mock' exam. In this case all of the results were below the pass rate. This is a quite able child, so surprising. A parent I spoke to said her friends daughter took this 'mock' format last year and also scored way down low. However, she scored highly to pass to Rugby High in the actual exam. I assume they want you to take up some intensive tuition that they offer in the last two weeks, to 'make the difference' ( the child who later passed didnt do anything more btw) The exam cost around £45, I don't know what the tuition costs- I was too bored by the site. But it can only help them get clients if they show children failing their test then 2 weeks later, after some tweaking, passing the 11 plus with flying colours. I had a look at their site and it was all a bit Mr Gradgrind for me :roll:
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I think you have hit the nail on the head, it is most probably a ploy to get the kids signed up for intensive tutoring. It would be interesting to see if anyone actually passes this mock exam. Could you PM me the name of the company that does it purely out of curiosity. Thanks
immatoity

Post by immatoity »

I'd be interested in finding out the name please... we are in Rugby... 11+ next year :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now