Disabled mother thanks you all

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jion

Disabled mother thanks you all

Post by jion »

Hello everybody,

I have been following this forum for about 6 months now, its truly been a sanity saver from my point of view.

I am a disabled mother who became ill when my son was in year 1, so both my husband and i had to stop work. We had too move into an area we hated, our son couldnt go out and play as the area is very rough.

We can not get out of this situation, our son has always been quite bright , but does not fit in with his friends at school, (even the teachers said this) we have always given our son complete parental care, where as his friends were allowed to wander the streets until late, never made to do homework ect.

Right my point being that our son sat the 11+ and passed, his friends dont care and i never mixed with many parents due to their attitudes and my illness.

This site kept me sane in as far as answering questions and showing that there is support out there. For 2 days before the results came out i couldnt sleep, knowing if my son passed he would probably get the grammar he wanted and at long last mix with like minded pupils.

I thank you all for being caring, devoted, loving parents, all of your posts have given me a break from the isolation i felt before coming here.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi jion

Well done to you and to your son. Your situation has clearly been immensely difficult, and I am glad that the forum has helped to keep you going. I hope that your son will find that he fits in better with the children at his new school, and that you can interact with the parents there whenever possible.

Don't feel that you have to leave us now - there is always room for more experience of every kind on the forum. Very few of us are "experts", just people who feel strongly that parents have a right to as much information and advice as possible. Almost all my "experience" comes from simply having read the forum avidly for the last 15 months (and from a failed appeal, but we'll just gloss over that bit!) and absorbed everyone's advice. I just recycle it for the benefit of newcomers!

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
jion

Sally - Anne

Post by jion »

Thank you for your kind words.

I totally agree 100% that parents need more information and advice, this whole 11+ assessment testing is so cruel and unfair.
I have been totally disgusted at some of the posts , where the children didnt pass and quite clearly have the ability.

I found out today that in my sons school some pupils took the 11+ but never even wanted a grammar. ????? its not a game. Could pupils taking the test but having the grammars as last choice put the pass rate up?

Im totally confused by some parents behaviour!!!
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

A big "Well Done" to your son, jion! Fantastic!

I know only too well what it's like being in a rough area. We lived in a real doozy of a rough place until almost 2 years ago. My son was always determined that he wanted to go to Grammar School and worked to do just that. He's off to MGS in September. It means so much to know that your child will get what they need. It's so hard for kids to be able to get on well in the classroom when they're surrounded by behavioural problems and the mentality that actually picking up a book means they'll be sneered at and teased. It takes a strong child to be able to keep their focus in the midst of all that. Your son is obviously a strong lad and deserves all he's worked for. Good luck to him!
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!