How much 11 plus prep per week in year 5?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
devonmum

How much 11 plus prep per week in year 5?

Post by devonmum »

Hi - my DS is in year 5 - am currently working at home with him to prepare for 11 plus - maths his strength, weaker on English and he enjoys the VR. About this time next year he will be sitting his 11 plus exams - no idea how much we should be doing per week?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Belinda

Re: How much 11 plus prep per week in year 5?

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devonmum

Post by devonmum »

Hi - thanks for your reply.

We are in Torbay - not much on the forums for this area. However, I understand it to be super selective (if that means no catchment area) - there will be VR, Maths and English. I have always been told he is bright - he has always been top group in everything, but he is lazy! As far as I can find out it is about 40% of those taking the exam that get in - at least it has been the last couple of years.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Hi I am also in Torbay and am preparing my Yr 5 DS for the 11+. I am currently doing 1/2 an hour per week per subject. So 1 1/2 hours in total. I have no idea if this is the right amount or too much or too little! So far he seems to be making progress so I'm going to keep doing that amount for now. My reasoning was that it was about equivalent to spending an hour with a tutor plus the homework they would set. I will probably increase it in the summer, so he can do some full length practice papers.
The Devon forum always seems really quiet, although I'm usually lurking! :lol: But I'm a bit wary about offering advice as it's all new to me!