Exhausted!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
starmum2000

Exhausted!

Post by starmum2000 »

Is it just me or is anyone else finding the run of open days and evenings thoroughly exhausting??
At our first evening one, (having queued in the street for about half hour), there was not room for us in the 'talk' so we had to do our tour first. By the time we had been seated in the over-bearingly hot hall I felt like it was midnight, not 7.30! By the time we finally got out of there & picked up poor DS2 at 8.30 who was by then equally exhausted I was shattered.
Felt a day time one would be much better, thoroughly enjoyed Headmaster's talk & dutifully began to tour the school on the 'approximately 35 minutes' tour ... 1 HOUR AND 40 MINUTES LATER :shock: , we happened to pass our car and made an escape.
DS looks tired tonight too, I'm not surprised :(
I'm feeling sooo glad we decided to book a half-term holiday way back when our 11+ journey began, we're all going to need it.
What are your open day stories, good or bad?
KS10

Re: Exhausted!

Post by KS10 »

We never listened to any of the Open Evening speeches. We were too tired! On one night we had to fit in 2 schools so the speeches weren't even an option.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Me too. Am totally open eveninged out. One week we went to three on three consecutive nights. My daughter refused to come to the third she was so fed up of them. And in one school I couldn't even hear the head's talk because the tickets they gave out had all gone. I thought I'd done well to do some visits in Year 5 but now wish I'd done more then.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

With our eldest we were naive and didn't even think about open evenings until Y6. We had about three weeks when we seemed to do nothing else but rush home from work as early as we could manage every evening, throw down some food very hastily and dash out to yet another open evening. Trudge round for an hour or more, sometimes practically shoulder-to-shoulder with what seemed like thousands of other parents and kids; then sit squashed together like sardines in some stuffy hall through yet another boring speech.

We started in Y4 with our daughter :lol: (but in my defence, it was in July at the end of the year!) and did two or three in Y5 so we only needed to do a couple in Y6 and felt very chilled about the whole thing. People don't warn you about this stuff...

Mike
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I had a conversation this week with a year 5 mum who wasn't going to bother visiting schools this year. I advised her that it's best to visit at least a couple now, as leaving it all until year 6 is a little overwhelming. Also I mentioned how long it can take!

However, having done all the visits two years in a row with ds1, i,m having a break this year, and ave only visited one.

Don 't forget the excellent What to ask ' thread.
portia123

Post by portia123 »

Yes, exhausting! We have visited 4 schools in the last two weeks, on one night 3 schools in our area decided to have the same open evening on the same night! We have had great, good and awful experiences, will be so glad when this is all over, one more school next week and then roll on the 17th of October. I wish now that we had visited some schools in Year 5. Top tips - take snacks, get there early and use the guides if offered, good luck to everyone x
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

Yep! Exhausted and rather depressed...

And we've only had two schools to visit (the open evening for the local grammar was in July) both of the local non-selectives. I think it's rather mean for them to be scheduled the week after the 11+.....

I did tours in the daytime for both, and then went back with OH and DD for the evening tours. So for the larger of the two I've spent 5 hours traipsing round (the smaller one, only 3hours). Unfortunately, we still have no idea which one we would prefer if DD doesn't pass, so after next saturday we may have to go round them both AGAIN! :?
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think I may be the opposite by saying I love school open days,the only bother seems to be parking at times.

We've visited our lot for the year with no more scheduled but I learnt from them, which one I really liked whereas dd2 still has no opinion!

But I would have to agree we probablly ended up walking more than we normally do on other occasions.
;D
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Not really sure what DS is getting from the Open Days - after todays visit his dad asked him what he thought when we got back " yeah, good, we got pizza & tried jam".
And we're going to be making our decision on what the food tech department decides to lay on?? :roll:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS1 chose one GS over the other due to the food served at the open evening!
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now