Can you buy your way into a grammar school??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11+mum

Can you buy your way into a grammar school??

Post by 11+mum »

My son sat his 11+ recently and whilst awaiting results I read up a lot on various forums. I wouldn't presume to give advice to parents on whether to appeal for a place where their child didn't make the required 121 because everyone's situation is different. However, I am sick of hearing about parents who feel that paying for extra tuition should have helped their child get a grammar school place. This only adds fuel to the comments I see time and again that grammar schools are for the rich and that the only way your child is likely to pass the 11+ is to buy the extra coaching. Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances and that is why there is an appeal process. However, the point I want to make is that it is possible for a child to pass the 11+ without coaching. My son passed, in fact he sailed through achieving well over the 121 required and he had no coaching! This, I feel well and truly qualifies him for a grammar school place - but we are certainly not rich, we both have to work to pay the bills!

Re: Can you buy your way into a grammar school??

Post by Guest »

11+mum wrote:My son sat his 11+ recently and whilst awaiting results I read up a lot on various forums. I wouldn't presume to give advice to parents on whether to appeal for a place where their child didn't make the required 121 because everyone's situation is different. However, I am sick of hearing about parents who feel that paying for extra tuition should have helped their child get a grammar school place. This only adds fuel to the comments I see time and again that grammar schools are for the rich and that the only way your child is likely to pass the 11+ is to buy the extra coaching. Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances and that is why there is an appeal process. However, the point I want to make is that it is possible for a child to pass the 11+ without coaching. My son passed, in fact he sailed through achieving well over the 121 required and he had no coaching! This, I feel well and truly qualifies him for a grammar school place - but we are certainly not rich, we both have to work to pay the bills!
You're right - clever children don't need coaching. Parents have no idea whether the tuition they have paid for has made any difference or not. If it has made any significant difference, they should be very worried indeed, as they will have to go on paying for coaching right through the child's school career. All children need is a bit of familiarisation with a couple of practice papers if they are the right calibre for grammar school in the first place.
katel

Post by katel »

To answer the original question - yes.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

ideally it should be a level playing field..

unfortunately as more people are tutored it raises the stakes. State primaroes are not allowed to coach , so they are at a disadvantage when compared to private schools.

I feel that tehe original idea of the grammar school has been lost.
jazzteddy

Post by jazzteddy »

You can't buy brains.
However, if you wanted to pass your driving test after some lessons with your dad, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of lessons with an instructor, just to let you know what to expect on the day.
A little extra info can be of help.
Excessive tuition, may gain a few places at grammar schools, but the naturally able do shine through. :)
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear 11+mum

The following old thread may interesr you, I started it March 2006

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=413

Patricia
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

The most-tutored-child at our school was not selective. I think there is a balance between throwing them in blind and over tutoring. Some weekly practice in the run-up is fine I feel.
Can I just make a point? Some parents who insist 'my child was not tutored' actually mean they have not paid for private tuition but in fact have sat papers and workbooks with mum or dad. This is a fact.
jazzteddy

Post by jazzteddy »

I agree with Medway Mum and sending your child in completely unprepared will mean they could be disadvantaged. Ooh so many rights and wrongs and all we want is the best for our children. ( oh no, feel I may be becoming addicted to this site, I was looking for xmas gifts on the net, but couldn't resist... sorry!)
katel

Post by katel »

There is an expensive Primary school near us that guarantees near 100% 11+ success rate - and gets it. They actually got 100% last year. I have friends who send their children there because "It's cheaper than independent all the way through"

Post by Guest »

I,m with Jazzteddy. You can't buy brains! My daughter passed with 270 last year after 6 practise papers at home, we couldn't afford private tutors, I don't think I would have wanted it though either. Her friend had a tutor for 3 years and just got a place at her third choice Grammar. She is is misreable and finding it hard work and now has another tutor to help with extra work and homework.

Daughter turned down Grammar School place for a Music Scholarship at non selective private.