Are we all deluded?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

Re: Are we all deluded?

Post by pheasantchick »

I guess you've got to be in-it to win-it. In the current times, I imagine there will be several more applicants then normal, as less people have money to go to private schools. Also, gaining entry to one of these 'top' schools may be perceived as an automatic route to success. Maybe there's a slight sheep mentality also. ie . Little Johnny's mum hears that Little Matilda is taking the exam, so feel that they ought to as well.

(PS Whats a BMAT exam?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Thanks. Sounds tough to me. There's so much out there to learn. I've just about grasped the 11+ system, but its the start of a whole minefield of extra tests, exams and knowing the system. Maybe that's why places like Tiffin are so popular - they may be better and have more experience at guiding you in the right direction.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Going back to the original question - thank you for asking it!!! I think all parents need to really look in a mirror and ask themselves this before putting their DCs through a lot of stress and heartache.

My DS is in the top 5% of his good local state primary school and, being in Barnet, both the boys and girls have an opportunity to try for the two top selective state schools in the country! I have been amazed at the children from his school who have been sitting the exams for these and other selective state schools in the area. Children who are not only not in the top 5% but are not even in the top sets - realistically they do not have a chance - why are the parents putting them through the stress of certain failure?
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think numbers would drop if there was a fee to sit the exams.Most people try because they haven't got anything to lose, but potentially lots to gain through a place.
;D
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

lara228 wrote:being in Barnet, both the boys and girls have an opportunity to try for the two top selective state schools in the country!
Hi lara228 - could you tell me which schools you mean? I was under the impression that CRGS was the top school for 2010
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Assume this is from the recent Sunday Times list. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ls#p271742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

inmystride-The most popular boys and girls school in barnet tends to be the HB school and QE boys.
Last edited by Thingsbehindthesun on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
;D
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Slightly confused - what's the difference between the Sunday Times List and the League Tables (where CRGS is listed top)?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think there are endless tables and ways of listing schools - could be by GCSE or A levels and within those it could be %A* A*/A A*/A/B .. A*-C etc etc - similarly could include points for other qualifications like diplomas etc ...have to read behind the figures.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now