Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sherry_d

Re: Free 11+ tution

Post by sherry_d »

Guest55 wrote:CRB checks cost money ...
not for voluntary work, its free.

I really think you are onto something here, if you can get a venue for free the rest will fall in place. I wanted to start something very similar but other life issues got the better of me. I still think you need to charge a nominal fee for covering cost that Guest55 is talking about and also weed out time wasters.
Last edited by sherry_d on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It might not be viewed as voluntary ....
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Why if you aren't getting paid to do it? I do something along these lines working with youth and all our CRBs are free. There is an organisation round here who submit the applications on our behalf and we never have to pay for it.
Impossible is Nothing.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

I have to also think in the lines of selecting pupils based on thier IQ or CAT scores

Share me your ideas, what IQ/scores is considered as worth trying for 11+
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

harrow123 wrote:selecting pupils based on thier IQ or CAT scores
I have never had these results for my children.

Wouldn't the values vary for different schools?
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

harrow123 wrote:I have to also think in the lines of selecting pupils based on thier IQ or CAT scores

Share me your ideas, what IQ/scores is considered as worth trying for 11+
Though I've been afraid of IQ testing, since I did one online and got 98, (yes they're hardly reliable is what I'm telling myself :lol: ) because they don't look at things like creativity and social skills.If you're not open to new ideas-you can be hard to teach and it's not easy to measure intelligence using a set of standardized questions. I think you could also look at end of year optional SAT levels.

Though any reliable IQ test is scaled for age, 00 is average for everybody. The standard deviation on an IQ test is 15 points, so anything above 115 would be good, anything above a bonus.
Last edited by Thingsbehindthesun on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
;D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Are there any schools doing IQ tests?

Some schools do CATs, but certainly not all. Not sure I would trust a single set of CATs, but the sort of CAT scores you would be looking for rather depends on the format - and the standard - of the local 11+. (Not that you would be expecting 'grammar school standard' - as the aim is presumably to help children get up to grammar school standard.)
Etienne