This is bizarre.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pabrighton0

Re: This is bizarre.

Post by pabrighton0 »

The primary school justified it a few times (make sure more than one choice put :shock:, being prepared to support appeals and others) but never got it! :evil: They should know Y6 parents well enough to be sure who would not be taking high risks with DCs' futures. :D

I am all for continuous tracking and improvement but it would needs to be lagging a year at least in this case.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pabrighton0 wrote:The primary school justified it a few times (make sure more than one choice put :shock:, being prepared to support appeals and others) but never got it! :evil: They should know Y6 parents well enough to be sure who would not be taking high risks with DCs' futures. :D

I am all for continuous tracking and improvement but it would needs to be lagging a year at least in this case.
I am not sure I entirely get your drift, but there are a lot of very silly tricks that parents play with the CAF, and foolish traps that they fall into:

:: Repeatedly naming the same school up to 6 times in the belief that it will force the admission authority to place their child there

:: Naming only one school in the same belief

:: Naming a non-GS ahead of a GS because they are afraid they won't get a place at it if their DC doesn't qualify.

:: etc - and there is no telling who will fall for this sort of nonsense. Highly intelligent parents have been known to make these mistakes.

pabrighton0, if your child's school asked for that information, and you refused to provide it, where is the problem? Why do you believe that it would be used for surreptitious purposes?
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Sally-Anne wrote:pabrighton0, if your child's school asked for that information, and you refused to provide it, where is the problem? Why do you believe that it would be used for surreptitious purposes?
You do not mean I should believe I need to be protected from myself? :D
I trust the policies of the school so no issue there. But essentially, I always remember how even ministers and the tax office unintentionally disclosed all sorts of personal data.
To be frank, if I had not spent the time I did with all this madness, I would have seen value in their potential advice.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Sally-Anne wrote:I am not sure I entirely get your drift, but there are a lot of very silly tricks that parents play with the CAF, and foolish traps that they fall into:

:: Repeatedly naming the same school up to 6 times in the belief that it will force the admission authority to place their child there

:: Naming only one school in the same belief

:: Naming a non-GS ahead of a GS because they are afraid they won't get a place at it if their DC doesn't qualify.

:: etc - and there is no telling who will fall for this sort of nonsense. Highly intelligent parents have been known to make these mistakes.
I have known two sets of parents do the latter two of your examples and it took a lot of persuasion to make them change their minds. In fact one didn't alter their form and was given a place at a school quite a distance away which was, unfortunately, the worst school in the area. If our DC's primary school had requested to see the CAF this may not have happened. I think it's a great idea.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I trust the policies of the school so no issue there. But essentially, I always remember how even ministers and the tax office unintentionally disclosed all sorts of personal data.
But you seemed to be concerned earlier in the thread that people were intentionally disclosing preference data for some purpose? That is a very different matter.
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

That is just because I like to know the policies!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now