Tutoring....Affordability

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rosette

Re: Tutoring....Affordability

Post by Rosette »

It seemed to me that the choice round where I live was to either:

1. Pay £30 for a weekly session for groups of up to 12, where there was limited opportunity for the child to get any 1:1 support and the parent wasn’t given too much idea of how to help; or
2. Go it alone and diy, which, while immensely satisfying, can be extremely time-consuming in terms of working out what materials to use and in what order, and generally worrying if you were doing the right thing.

We felt pressured to start with option 1 (other mothers telling me we needed a tutor :roll: ) but after a few weeks we gave it up in favour of the diy route.

In view of my experience (I’ve been through it twice now!), I’m starting an online business next month to address what I think would provide the best of both worlds but without the disadvantages. The idea being that the parent subscribes to a monthly membership (which would cost a fraction of what a tutor would charge) and guides the child through the process, using weekly lesson plans with online support such as video tutorials. I would also offer unlimited email support to target those problem areas. Other than using my own worksheets and video tutorials, I would concentrate on using test papers that are already published rather than create new ones, as I think there’s plenty of material out there already. And it can all be done in the comfort of your own home at a time to suit you!

I’d be really grateful if any posters could let me have their opinions if they think there would be much demand for this sort of service. It would be aimed at the parent who wants to help their child themselves but doesn’t feel confident that they have the time or knowledge to go it alone. It would be purely for verbal and non verbal reasoning.
Rosette
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Rosette wrote:I’m starting an online business next month to address what I think would provide the best of both worlds but without the disadvantages. The idea being that the parent subscribes to a monthly membership (which would cost a fraction of what a tutor would charge) and guides the child through the process, using weekly lesson plans with online support such as video tutorials. I would also offer unlimited email support to target those problem areas. Other than using my own worksheets and video tutorials, I would concentrate on using test papers that are already published rather than create new ones, as I think there’s plenty of material out there already.
Country Mum,

Before you start paying for any service consider:

weekly lesson plans There are several people who offer very good advice as to what needs to be done. Have a look at the stickies prepared by the moderators at the top of each section. Certain forum users have shared their journey and plans on the site. (I have found posts by Jay's Darlin(g) very informative, she also shares her materials)

video tutorials are already available on y o u t u b e.

unlimited email support to target those problem areas I have found that the users of this site answer most questions (and normally you get different ways of doing the same question)

Have a look at your area section, there is normally a list of recommended material there.

And people here also share a virtual glass with you when necessary!
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

I absolutely agree that no one should feel obliged to pay for any kind of tuition service (I’ve been there myself). And if people are prepared to diy then this site is the best place to come. I have personally used it on and off for the past 3 years and have found it invaluable (particularly Patricia’s advice on verbal reasoning).

However, I also found it hugely time-consuming and I think first time around I would have quite liked someone holding my hand (virtually) and telling me exactly what I should be doing and when I should be doing it!

I wish Countrymum good luck in whatever she decides - a handful of sessions with a tutor sounds like a good option if that is available to you. I haven't heard of anyone offering that sort of service from my area, it tends to be group classes with little flexibility.
Rosette
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Country mum,

From one of your earlier posts, you said that your DD gets it and you don't. If your DD is willing to be guided by you (and this forum), why don't you just try and do it together? The important thing is to be attempting the right material/level of difficulty at the right time. To often I have parents who have tried the GL papers at beginning of year 5 and wonder why their child can't do it! You have to build up to it.

If she is already working at level 6 in year 5, she sounds like a prime candidate for grammar. For your own piece of mind, try calling a few tutors to see if they could see you every now and again,- it might work well for them as perhaps they could fit you in as a cancellation if you are flexible. If you are in the Berkshire catchment, feel free to PM me.

Good luck.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks so much for your feedback, very much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to reply. Tbh I don't know what would be available my area ( Looking at her gaining entry to AGGS in Trafford ) Though I know many of her friends have the classroom style tutoring and some the one to one....Though who/where I don't know and I don't like to pry as it were. I truly understand tutoring is such a personal thing for so many different reasons, I wouldn't be that naive though to think my DD would pass the 11+ with no tutoring whatsoever, whether that be DIY or private. I just know I am possibly not the person to do it, not for time constraints ( infact I was rather looking forward to it ) but I am just not clever enough in that way I don't think :( so need some guidance. Yes she gets it far more than I, but I can't even grasp it, and wonder how can I help her, and get her to logically work out where she may be going wrong if I don't even know myself....honestly I just look at all those shapes and letters/shadings etc and just may as well be looking at trying to translate a language I don't even understand. I am getting better at VR though, infact I quite enjoy VR :)

I have ordered some bond books...urrrr they do have the answers in the back don't they ( hope so )
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

You'll be surprised at how quickly you can pick up the vr etc. It's just understanding how to do it and if a 10 year old can do it...then so can we ! I tutored my son and we bought the Bond How To Do..books, looked at the y*utube videos ( which by the way has a man with the most s*xy voice ever :D )and I've just signed DS2 up for Bond online , which isn't very expensive , there are hundreds of little tests and the best bit is..........they explain in detail how they reached the answer ( and why they discarded the other possible answers )

With the nvr, once you know the answer , you wonder why you didn't notice in the first place . Plus children seem to "get it "much easier then we do ...must be our old brains !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Which videos are those Scarlett? Are you sure you are doing the right ones?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Definitely ! :lol: I could listen to that man all day long.....he is lovely. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Tell me what to search for please. It sounds excellent.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Look out for the VR types tutorial ......the little clips start off with some very jazzy music indeed. ....which the dog just loves.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now