What should I be doing now?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

What should I be doing now?

Post by katel »

We have decided to appeal on non- qualification.(Kent) We hqve submitted the SCAF with the grammar school first. We have talked to the primary school who will wholeheartedly support us. We have discussed it with ds, who understands that he needs to try his best at school and produce lots of lovely level 5 and up work.

We have no extenuating circumstances at all, so we don't need to be gathering evidence of them.

So what should I be doing now? Or do I just try and forget about it til March?
Sally-Anne

Re: What should I be doing now?

Post by Sally-Anne »

katel wrote:So what should I be doing now? Or do I just try and forget about it til March?
Essentially, yes. Just keep closely in touch with the school and make sure that your DS completes work in exercise books to a good standard, including catching up on silly things like underlining headings, etc. It all helps to give a good impression.
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you! Very odd, this phoney war period!
scaredkentmum

Post by scaredkentmum »

We are in the same situation as you, so I share your anxiety, its very difficult to be doing nothing, isn't it.
We have started to put together a few words for the appeal and have been to the school to check on all his levels. Also keep bigging up the local comp as realistically that is where he is going!
I hope we are not wanting the same GS place :-)
katel

Post by katel »

So I shouldn't be making a scrapbook about him? Because there's a match report in in our local paper that talks about his mature and assured captaincy contributing hugely to his team's win.........

<wibble>
katel

Post by katel »

Scaredkentmum- Yay, an appeal buddy! Unless you feel we should be at daggers drawn as we fight to the death over the last remaining grammar place! But I don't think we will- you can't be in our area if you've got a comprehensive school to send yours to. I dream of a comprehnsive school!

I am starting to think about our statement. Thinking of putting it in Harry Potter terms- we feel the Sorting Hat got it wrong on this occasion!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

katel wrote:So I shouldn't be making a scrapbook about him? Because there's a match report in in our local paper that talks about his mature and assured captaincy contributing hugely to his team's win.........
<wibble>
.............and that's why you're so very proud of him,Katel and know that he will be going places .Try to put it out of your mind if you can.....I'm sure he will continue to work hard at school so you'll have some great work to show the board and other then that it's out of your hands now. :(
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you, scarlett. I know that really. And I'm only intermittently bothered. We are 99.9999% sure where he's going and we're content with that. But......

Maybe I'll make the scrapbook anyway. I like making scrapbooks. Then dd will say "that's not fair, you didn't make one for ME!!" So I'll have to make one for her. And it'll be March before I know it!
mystery

Post by mystery »

And if you have time, come round and do one for some my children. I have mixed up scrap in boxes. I always worry I'll arrive in old age (OK Scarlett, I'm already there) and look in the boxes and not remember which child it relates to or what on earth it was. I've already got to the point I don't know who is who in the baby photos.

Good luck with the appeal. Did you decide to go Ed Psych route or not? You can always burn it if the results are not helpful to your case.

The thing is that if you've got son on your side about producing beautiful work this year, and none of you are really that bothered whether he goes to the comp or not, it's a win-win situation. His standard of work will remain high rather than tailing off in the typical year 6 boredom, and it doesn't really matter whether you win the appeal or not.

So it really is an experiment. Keep us posted!

I'm hoping you get permission to video the appeal hearing and put it on here as a podcast.

Aren't any of those journos who trail this site occasionally interested in the story?

I still strongly feel that a case with no exenuating circumstances but with strong academic evidence should stand a better chance than a load of appeals with hyped up extenuating circumstances. I think you should make it a major plank of your appeal!! Maybe the guidance and training for panels will change a little if you win - could be a landmark appeal Katel!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mystery wrote:I still strongly feel that a case with no exenuating circumstances but with strong academic evidence should stand a better chance than a load of appeals with hyped up extenuating circumstances.
Panels are remarkably good at spotting "hyped up extenuating circumstances". Also, no matter how strong the extenuating circumstances, if the evidence of academic ability is found wanting, the appeal will never succeed. I have known of cases where the extenuating circumstances were absolutely tragic, and everyone in the hearing was in tears, male and female, panel members and appellants. Despite that, the academic evidence was insuficient for the appeal to be upheld.
I think you should make it a major plank of your appeal!!
I assume that comment is made tongue-in-cheek, mystery? Even so, I am afraid I disagree.

It would be a diversion that could detract from the evidence that katel is presenting for her son, and panels do not appreciate appellants who rail against the system. All panel members are unpaid volunteers, and to tell them that they are (in general terms) doing a lousy job is hardly going to endear anyone to them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now