Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:30 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Posts: 2386
Do they have an entrance test? Are they selecting on "general ability" or "academic ability"? That's basically the definition of "partially selective".

Another possibility is that they're one of the schools that admits up to 10% on a particular "aptitude" (but that's usually music/sport/language etc so not all that likely to fit your description). Or perhaps they admit on "fair banding" or some such, where they test for ability and admit a cross section from each ability band?

Or is it just the top stream?

Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:03 pm
Posts: 1413
As far as I can gather, you apply, get in on the basis of distance and from that intake they see if you are of 'selective ability' . I've just learned it's not called a 'grammar stream', rather an 'express stream'. I had thought maybe there was a general way of doing things, but I guess I should've realised that was a naive assumption! :lol:

_________________
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 am
Posts: 82
The partially selective comprehensive near us selects based on the Wandsworth Test results. 25% of places (63) are available to the top scorers on the test (which is taken by all in the borough plus those who apply for the school. The remaining 75% (181) are based on catchment (0.3miles at present, approx). To get one of the selective places you need a pass mark of about 98% (last year's results). The test is set byu NFER and is just NR/NVR.

The children are put into the selective stream based on their test score and are streamed for all lessons. There is movement up and down the streams but the selective streams do slightly more academic lessons than the lower streams eg less D&T.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:03 pm
Posts: 1413
Thanks Scoopy. 98% is one **** of a pass rate!

Thanks to everyone for replying. I think I understand the subtle differences now. :D

_________________
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018