Nosy question-what are your Y5 children currently doing?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Nosy question-what are your Y5 children currently doing?

Post by ToadMum »

At school, DS2 is doing English with Yr6, Maths with a neighbouring GS Yr7, the odd bit of VR. Teacher who takes the English class says they will be looking at the 2013 Level 6 Grammar etc SATs sample papers. DS2 hass reading age of 13.6 years (class teacher thinks this was probably as far as the particular test went up to, as he has been assessed at the same level twice. Perhaps they will look at another one next time).

At home, lots of reading as usual, because he does that, not because he is pressured into it. I might slip the Bond "How to do VR" into the pile on his bed; he will probably read through it if I sandwich it between a couple of Lemony Snickets (his current "rereads") :lol: Last week's bash at the CSSE 2007 entry English paper achieved 34/50 in 25 minutes, although he did give up altogether on one set of questions :roll:

No doubt a glorious example of "how not to do it" in most folks' eyes...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Dd has a tutor so we are doing the work he sets each week: normally loads of maths worksheets and a couple of comprehensions. We will be back on the VR soon again but increasing the amount of English at the moment. Dd is probably doing 30 mins to an hour most days apart from Friday night's and Tuesday when she sees her tutor. No full papers again yet, did a couple last October which didn't go brilliantly, probably too soon. Tutor will start on some soon though. Oh and NVR into the mix soon as we will be doing CEM style exam as well as usual one in Essex, both in September. Boy am I starting to panic :shock:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Araucana girl wrote:Dd has a tutor so we are doing the work he sets each week: normally loads of maths worksheets and a couple of comprehensions. We will be back on the VR soon again but increasing the amount of English at the moment. Dd is probably doing 30 mins to an hour most days apart from Friday night's and Tuesday when she sees her tutor. No full papers again yet, did a couple last October which didn't go brilliantly, probably too soon. Tutor will start on some soon though. Oh and NVR into the mix soon as we will be doing CEM style exam as well as usual one in Essex, both in September. Boy am I starting to panic :shock:
Oh and did I forget, loads of bedtime reading and vocab :shock:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
earleymom

Post by earleymom »

Yes, balancing all the four subjects is what I find very difficult. If I leave a long gap, DS forgets the things he has learnt - esp, Maths formulas :( And the confidence level seems dipping in and out, both for me and DS. Can't wait for it all to finish...