Can a headteacher make such a deamnd about 11+?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Averagedad

Can a headteacher make such a deamnd about 11+?

Post by Averagedad »

A friend in another Borough told me that a grammar school headteacher has 'demanded' her to give assurance that her girl has not received any 11+ 'coaching', or the headteacher will not accept her girl into his grammar school even if her girl passes the 11+.

Can anyone tell me if a headteacher could make such a demand?
(So that I can pass on the information to my very stressed friend)

Many thanks.
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
Etienne

Re: Can a headteacher make such a deamnd about 11+?

Post by Etienne »

I assume this requirement does not appear in the published admission arrangements? :lol:

If the child qualifies in the 11+, and is offered a place (either because there are sufficient vacancies, or as a result of applying the published oversubscription criteria), no one could lawfully take that place away, unless there has been cheating (e.g. an 'address of convenience').

There is an argument that over-tutored children might flounder in a selective school, but that is a situation that would need to be looked at in the light of their performance after entry (not because they have been tutored).
Etienne
katel

Post by katel »

He can't- but wouldn't it be fab if he could!
mystery

Post by mystery »

:shock: How does this head think he could stop an offer being made? Are these people going to appeal and the head think he can influence the panel?

If this story has been related to you accurately, I don't think this particular head is a very pleasant person, untruthful and a bit of a threatening or bullying type. Is the school actually any good as I would seriously worry about a head like that?
brightstuff

Post by brightstuff »

The Head would have to threaten the entire intake I suspect, such is the way of getting in these days - he cannot use his position like this, as it is not stated in the admissions code. He is allowing his personal preferences to become too threatening and should be careful.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

On my behalf of my stressed-out friend, I thank everyone for their input.
I've asked her to read all your valuable comments from this thread herself.
Please do understand that she does NOT want to be 'identified' by the headteacher, who may give her more demand, so she cannot thank you all personally. :D
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now