PASS MARK ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Thank you - twins are very hard! This is why we have saved over the years to pay for them to go private. They are both clever and good all rounders, but if one got in and the other didn't it would be world war 3 in our house if there was no alternative. My daughter actually got a scholarship in one of her tests which was fabulous and a great recognition of her work. However, my son was terribly jealous. We lied and said that it was easier to get into the school my daughter got a scholarship for. Ha ha - he didn't believe us!!

I am sure they won't be psychologically damaged for long!? The only psychological damage is likely to result from having me and my hubby as parents.
SAD

Post by SAD »

[quote="HappyDays"]I don't know how you work out that the state primaries would be overcrowded if the prep schools closed. In my area there are only a few preps anyway. Probably 250 children each year (it is a city). I know that some state primaries are closing here because of low numbers, so I think there would be space for all. I don't feel that prep school children are enabling state primaries to do well. State primaries are doing well anyway, because many are very good. My children have both had fabulous experiences in their schools - chosen for gifted and talented, both in sports teams, sang in choirs, played in orchestras - and all totally free. I have absolutely no complaints at all and am really glad that they went to state primaries. I have saved all that money and can now afford to send them private when it really matters (if need be and they don't get into grammar).

Hi Happy Days

I'm glad your children have had a good experience of state primary schools - around here all the good state primaries are oversubscribed and there are three very good prep schools within 10 minutes drive of our house - my children would not have got into the local village primary - the cut-off line was a few roads away - so we decided on a prep school - it has been excellent - my only gripe is that it won't prepare children for the 11 plus - but who can blame them - they are preparing for common entrance at 13.

Our daughter has taken both private school tests and 11 plus and she already has a place at an excellent private school should she fail - because despite all our efforts and even great intelligence in the child herself - its still possible to fail. I know of a couple of dead-certs who failed and they had to go through the appeal system. There is only so much you can do and we all do what we think is right at the time.

So good luck to everyone - state or private educated - lets hope we all get what is best for our children.

SAD

Post by Guest »

Essex mum wrote:I have to agree with what you said SAD. It is certainly is a fact that most children from prep schools would do well whether they went to a prep school or there local primary school. Children who go to prep schools, usually come from fairly "successful" parents, who are achievers in life. They have often inherited this gene and thus go on to be successful in their school life. This obviuosly does not mean that other children also do not have this opportunity.

It is due to parents like yourself, who educate independently, that allow the state primary schools to be successful. After all, if there was not such a thing as private schools, the state sector would be so inundated with pupils and there certainly would be no more funding for it!
Our local primary school would have to double in size if the three local preps closed - it would be a nightmare for everyone!
HappyDays

Post by HappyDays »

I think we need to realise that we all live in different parts of the country which have different problems in the school system. We are all trying to do what we think is best for our children, who are all individuals. I don't think anyone can disagree with that (but on this message board who knows!).

In my (humble) opinion, as a parent you need to look at all the schools, read all the literature and not worry too much about league tables. They are so misleading. My children's school is not a brilliant primary school. They don't all get level 4 at age 11 and are well below 100%. I don't care though - the school is happy and welcoming. Children love to go and my two have been encouraged every step of the way. Many of the 70% of children get level 5s in their SATs but the league tables hide this fact. The school has a spread of abilities and all are catered for (although my two have never struggled, so I am guessing here).

I honestly don't think I would have bothered about the grammar schools if it hadn't been for the fact that they are the closest schools to our house and I worry terribly about them travelling any distance - they are my babies after all. It is a pity that there aren't more grammar schools, because then children trying to get in from out of the area would be able to apply closer to home. I hate to think of children travelling great distances to go to school - it doesn't seem right. When they are adults they may have to travel to go to work and that is a drag, but for a child it must be worse when you have homework, etc.
Robyn

Pass mark

Post by Robyn »

Hello,

No I did not say private school kids were stupid, I am only speaking from experience of my area. Our local prep schools give massive amounts of vr work from year 3, and that when they got to year 9 there was non of them in the top stream, you can infer from this what you like, but in our area the facts speak for them selves.

Robyn
Thea

Post by Thea »

Essex girl - very interested in your survey on the *** website.Unscientific or not - would be very interested to hear what you conclude...
Best Regards,
Thea
Essex Girl

my unscientific survey

Post by Essex Girl »

I will come back and let you know. It will probably not be for a couple of weeks though.

Personally, though I don't believe in prep school pupils taking up state grammar school places I certainly have nothing against prep school educated children. Children are children wherever they come from and whatever their background. They cannot help where they go to school, etc. I have children in both grammar and comp and each of my children has friends from both sectors. All are really nice people.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Essex Mum

I noticed your post that in Bucks we seem to have problems with age but not catchment and it gave me a wry laugh. If you fancy another trip into foreign territory, take a look at the Bucks thread "Consultative Document on Admissions process for 2007".

It might make you feel better!

Best,
Sally-Anne
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Interesting Sally-Anne, it does not matter what part of the country people live in, the system is not perfect is it. It seems that if people live in catchment they believe catchment children should have priority and if people live outside catchment they believe catchment is irrelevent. Likewise, if people have siblings they think they should have priority and if they don't have siblings they don't think they should have priority. I guess it's within human nature, to look after your own!
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Yes Essex Mum couldn't agree more.
Whether we agree or disagree with admission policies etc at the end of the day we are looking out for our own precious children.

My daughter has just received a letter today saying that she is getting a poem published in a book, for a young writers competion.

She is so happy!
Footymad :wink: