chaeating allegations in Rugby

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jacquie

cheating allegations in Rugby

Post by jacquie »

I have just heard of cheating allegations in Rugby. I have been a tutor since 1990. To explain my position:
Some of my work involves preparing children for 11 plus.
I would like to make clear here, because tutors have a bad name, and now are going to have an even worse on, it seems, I always follow up children's progress who pass.
I have no wish to make children's lives a misery, by getting them into a school inappropriate to their needs. I always enrich maths and literacy as a priority and do not 'cram'. This means the children I teach, who pass the exam, are always well prepared in study skills and have excellent academic levels.
I also work on wider educational elements such as philosophy, discussion, self confidence, concentration and creative work. Elements which school teachers are unable to offer in their pressured environment and large classes.

I have heard that papers have been circulating among some tutors- I assume these are tutors who have access to schools ( I do not) otherwise, how would they get hold of the copies?

Over the last 10 years I have kept records of my results. This is the first year that pupils have failed, who I have predicted to pass. I found this particularly true of the boys. They have regularly had a lower pass rate, according to levels observed in my classes, than the girls. Boys who regularly got above 85%, in my practice papers, passed, but those who got less than that, regulary, say 75% to 85% failed. The latter would normally have passed. In fact, one or two each year getting 60% in my classes have also passed.

I was puzzled, and have been bewildered by this change. I pondered and thought maybe, this might be due to an amazingly bright wave of children coming into the pool. Or was this a new trend? Were the resuiltsnow going to get higher each year?

Talking to a parent of a little girl last night, who is very bright, and due to take the exam in September, I warned of how high the standard was this year. It was she who told me about the cheating rumours now circulating. Is it true that all the Rugby children, from this year. will now be taking the test in a hall? Are the old papers being abandoned?

I must say, I feel really disgusted by tutors or teachers letting down pupils by cheating. This is an awful example. It's already unfair enough, that so many 'bright' children 'fail'.

I feel absolutely bewildered by this development. If this is true, surely the exam must be resat by everyone. What on earth is going to be done?