CAT test results as an indicator for 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Redpoppy1

CAT test results as an indicator for 11+

Post by Redpoppy1 »

My child (in year 5) has recently taken the CAT tests, in Bucks. She achieved 114 for verbal reasoning, 124 in quantitative and 141 for non verbal. I understood that you took an average of all three scores, as an indicator of potential 11+ results. However, our Head informed us that only the verbal reasoning test should be considered when comparing scores, or indeed being used in an appeal for the 11+. Can you advise?
IronMikeTyson

Re: CAT test results as an indicator for 11+

Post by IronMikeTyson »

I don't understand the headmasters comment. A score of 141 for NVR is superb. Your child has a very good chance of getting into any Grammar.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
Sally-Anne

Re: CAT test results as an indicator for 11+

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Redpoppy1, and welcome!
Redpoppy1 wrote:My child (in year 5) has recently taken the CAT tests, in Bucks. She achieved 114 for verbal reasoning, 124 in quantitative and 141 for non verbal.
The QR score is very respectable and the NVR score is, as I am sure you know, right at the top end of the scale. Although the VR is lower, it is still well above the national average.
I understood that you took an average of all three scores, as an indicator of potential 11+ results.
CATs are really not quite the same as the 11+, but there is some correlation between high CAT scores and success in the 11+.
However, our Head informed us that only the verbal reasoning test should be considered when comparing scores, or indeed being used in an appeal for the 11+.
The 11+ consists of not only verbal questions, but also 4 types of maths questions, where the QR score will come in handy. A child with a high NVR score will process information visually very quickly, and that will help with Codes and "Move a Letter" type questions.

As far as an appeal goes, all three scores are highly relevant, and the argument would be that your child "excels in NVR and has strong mathematical ability, none of which is really tested fully by a verbal reasoning paper".
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now