What do these tests involve?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Waiting_For_Godot

What do these tests involve?

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

DS is sitting a pre-test for a very selective school for entry in 2014 to keep options open for him - if he gets in of course! Here is a quote from the admissions department:
The written test has two sections, each lasting ten minutes. The first deals with words, the second with numbers and codes. No specific preparation can be made for these verbal and numerical reasoning tests.
I'm a bit confused as to what can be tested for in such a short time frame and what numerical reasoning tests mean. Is that NVR or something different? Is it a maths test, and what type and how should I go about preparing him for it. The test is only in a few weeks so cutting it fine! :roll:
hermanmunster

Re: What do these tests involve?

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect they don't want people preparing for it - these are very short tests - presumably will try and fit in quite a few questions in a short space of time to see how they think
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

hermanmunster wrote:I suspect they don't want people preparing for it - these are very short tests - presumably will try and fit in quite a few questions in a short space of time to see how they think
That's the problem - when my son starts thinking, he's there for a while! :roll:
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

I'm sure someone will come along and advise you, but as to type of tests:

VR = Verbal Reasoning (tests language skills, i.e. words)
NR = Numerical Reasoning (tests analytical skills, i.e. maths)
NVR = Non-Verbal Reasoning (tests logical skills, i.e. shapes/patterns)

When I was involved in management recruitment, the three types of tests were used to ascertain candidates strengths/thinking, i.e. verbal, mathematical, logical brain!
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now