Taking the exam early

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ali66

Taking the exam early

Post by ali66 »

Hi, does anyone know if my daughter can take her exam early. My husband has just been offered a two year secondment to Hong Kong which we think he will accept. Only problem is my daughter is due to take her 11+ in November and we are due to leave in August. Can she take it early? Or if we go can we return just to do the exam if she is not registered at an English school. We are concerned that if she does not take it we may not be able to get her in a grammer school when we return. Our local state schools are not particularly good. She seems more than capable or passing, she is getting 80-90% on all her test papers at the moment.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Ali66

Post by Guest »

I think you probably need to speak to your LEA. My understanding is that a school won't hold a place open for you if you are out of the country - if she passes the eleven plus (which she may be able to take abroad ie have the papers sent to the school she will attend in Hong Kong) she will be expected to take the place up in the September. I could always be wrong so do check.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A place cannot be allocated for two years time - you will have to apply when you are about to return.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the commenst are correct - the 11 plus pass is only valid for the folowing september.
When you come back to the UK you can obviously apply to schools that have places at the time and if they are selective schools then they may set an entrance test appropriate to her age.
kentmum1

Hong Kong

Post by kentmum1 »

We went to Hong Kong in 1996, for what was meant to be a 2-yr contract and stayed nearly 5 years! It's fantastic there and we enjoyed it to the full. The education is excellent there. We didn't want to come back but was requested back with 6 week's notice. Thankfully son was only in Reception at that time. There would be no point in taking the 11+ now. On your return, your daughter would have to sit an appropriate entrance test for her age. I know some grammars use sats type tests but these may differ.

Post by Guest »

Thank you all for your replies. I think we will leave the exam for this year and if we return she can take the individual school's selective test then.

Ali
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

If you are looking at secondary schools in Hong Kong, most people I know went to Island School. You can find this on any search engine. It is as good as many independent and selective schools in the UK. Last year, it achieved 46% A-A*'s in the GCSE's and is introducing the IB in September. For a large, mixed comprehensive, it does extremely well. The age range in each year group is slightly different to the UK, in that the birthdays are from January - December. So anyone with an autumn birthday, is one of the youngest. My yr 6 son would now be in yr 7 if we were still there as he has an October birthday. Good luck - it's a special place!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi KentMum1

Oh, I have wanderlust now, so many happy memories of visits to HK. Island School sounds fab - when can Son1 start please? Transportation is so much more appealing than waiting around for the 12+ result!

Sally-Anne