Help..What should I do ??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bustwinks

Help..What should I do ??

Post by bustwinks »

My lovely ds who I had always assumed was heading for the local comp, had just announced that he wants to the grammar school arhhhh :? I'm not really sure where this has come, as when his sister was practising last year for her 11 plus, he was addement we wasn't following in her footsteps, so I thought nothing more of it.

But now with exactly one year to go...and with having just thown out all the 11 plus stuff I have this to deal with. Dont get me wrong, I am really proud of what he wants to do, but this is the tricky bit, I really dont think he is up to it, he has just never had the same kind of work ethos that his sister has...Oh what am I to do.

I really dont want to put him through something that I really dont think he has a chance of acheiving, especially as there is a written exam...he hates to read and write. I think I may just start of with a practise paper and see where we go from there.

Sorry for the rant...wish me luck...maybe he'll change his mind next week ?? :lol:
scary mum

Re: Help..What should I do ??

Post by scary mum »

Maybe wanting to do it will spur him on to great things. Is it that you don't think he can work hard enough, or is it that however hard he works don't think he's got it in him? If he really wants to do it he might surprise you.
scary mum
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

To be honest scary mum..I think he will get bored, I think if he REALLY try's..REALLY hard it could happen...but I just dont think he has the stamina...I will get a pratise paper this weekend and go from there I think ? :?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Why is he now thinking of Grammar ? Are his friends taking the 11 plus and he rather fancies it himself or has he developed more self confidence and feels that he is capable ? One to one work can really bring them on and a year is a long time.You need to sit him down and make sure he understands how much work is needed , not just now but if he gets to Grammar and then see if he gets fed up with the practice papers. I think it's lovely that he wants to try and so deserves lots of encouragement and help . :)
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Thank you Scarlett, I think its lovely also...but I just cant help think that something must have happpened at school or he has fallen out with some of his mates...who knows...I would have thought seeing his big sis spending most of her spare time doing her homework..was enough to put anyone off!

Its just so hard, he is in top set..but only just, and his sats reults have never been great.

No I must think positive...even if he dosen't pass...he would hopefully have gained alot in the amount of one to one time we are about to encounter :)
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Scarlett..one more thing...hardly anyone from the school takes the 11 plus....as the grammar is in a different county...8 miles up the road. So no none of his mates will take it.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Then you also need to have a chat with him about that in case he has had a falling out !
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

...been there Scarlett....he said something just clicked in his head !! bless him :wink:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Then go for it !!
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I would have to agree with Scarlett -Right now he's still young and there's room for improvement.It would be better to try then not to try at all, if that's what he wants to do.
;D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now