Sutton Mocks today

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Re: Sutton Mocks today

Post by Hera »

Is the format of all the exams in the mock multiple choice and how many papers are there? Thanks.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Is the format of all the exams in the mock multiple choice and how many papers are there? Thanks.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

bel,

I think DS said that the maths was standard form - you wrote your answers and workings in a workbook - but the other elements were multiple choice.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

My two sat today. One claimed to finish the maths in 15 mins. The other only got as far as question 15b before running out of time! :shock: But loved the English. So we'll see. Obviously a LOT of practise in maths is needed.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So what did they think of the experience? Was it worthwhile? DG
Hera

Post by Hera »

Did mocks this morning. Was doubtful as elements we don't need, but think the experience was definately beneficial overall. Maths had 10 minutes to check. English time ran out with 3 questions to go.....
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

dao, I htink the most worthwhile thing they got out of it was that they actually enjoyed it. DS2 was a bit dispirited by the maths, but that has given me such a clear indication of what we need to focus on. He loved their English paper and seemed to do well in it. His brother is far more slapdash at English and better at maths.

We didn't really gear up for it at all, partly because I'm off my feet at work at the moment so not around much, and partly because I didn't want them to associate exams with stress. I told them I loved exams as a child (geek alert, but true) and they seemed intrigued by that. When they came out they were fine and we went off for a meal to celebrate their first ever exam.

They've been talking about it a fair bit, in good terms, so I think it was a positive experience, and really helped them know what to expect (sit still, don't talk etc).

Well worth it. The people who ran it were lovely. The woman on the door at the end was making jokes about going off with the right parent which made them all smile as they left.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We thought they were lovely too. It must be very rewarding for them knowing that they are really helping students get into the school of their choice. It is a shame they are only doing three weekends this year as many students have missed out. It will be very interesting to see the results. All three of my students found it easier than eleven plus mocks. They will be doing Redbridge next month and after that it is the real thing on 3rd September. 3 years ago my elder dd had not even done her sutton mock by 3rd September. Will the marks be lower this year and has everyone just started working earlier? DG
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

To those that have already been, a quick question please.

Do the children take in a snack? They don't mention anything about it in the letter. Did any of your children take anything to eat or was it just water? I only sent mine in with water for the 11plus mock and all the other children were with sandwiches so I was just wondering.
Hera

Post by Hera »

My DS just took a bottle of water. The mock only lasts from 9.30 to 11.30 with one very short break. I assume that the candidates who took sandwiches etc to the 11+ mocks were the people staying all day?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now