Help for maths silly Mistakes please..

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

omismum

Help for maths silly Mistakes please..

Post by omismum »

Hi There,

I am really confused because my dd is not getting good scores perticularly in maths..
she is fine in VR/NVR and English.
Her scores are generally 65% to 70% in hard papers like GL and Bonds.
she is April born and i am litrally waiting for mirracle...their are lots of silly mistakes in it.
Dont know what to do?
any tips will be really helpful.

Thankyou so much.
RationalityRules

Re: Help for maths silly Mistakes please..

Post by RationalityRules »

Hi omismum

In my opinion, you need to be specific about what the silly mistakes are. Are they always in the same types of question (fractions, symmetry, algebra etc)? If so, obviously she would benefit from extra practice in that area/those areas.

If they're basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division errors when working at speed (and when you think she should know better), it's worth going right back to basics and working in some time for practice of number bonds up to 20 and times tables. These need to be really secure.

If the mistakes are caused by rushing, or panicking, or both, then allow her more time for her practice papers. Don't be fooled into thinking that the more practice papers you do the better. She needs to go over the areas she's unsure of and consolidate the knowledge she has, not just do paper after paper without learning from mistakes.

Finally, teach her (over and over again) that checking means doing the question again.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you both! RR
omismum

Re: Help for maths silly Mistakes please..

Post by omismum »

Hi Rationalityrules,

Thanks for reply and i agree with you.
good luck to you too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now