11+ and current crisis

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Johannes

11+ and current crisis

Post by Johannes »

Do you think that the current financial crisis and job situation will make the whole 11+ field much more competitive? It strikes me that in a recession, education becomes even more important because people realise that to get the good jobs in the future, one has to do very well at school and then at university. I know that in the university near us, competition among students is very high as they all seem to realise that with not that many jobs, internships etc about, only the best will succeed. As a result, many students are getting help with academic English to increase their scores and eventual degree classification. As a parent of children who have been through non-selective schooling, I know that comprehensive education, while it has its merits, does not always push the bright and sometimes (and I really do stress that word- I am going on my own experience, which I know is just local) panders to the lowest or middle bands, depending on the situation.

As I now prepare my son for the 11+ in our area, I am keenly aware that when he leaves school, he will need to have a great deal behind him to compete for fewer and fewer opportunities, so it makes me even more determined to help him to at least get his foot on the Grammar School ladder, because I know that at that school he will be pushed, he will respond well and he will succeed and be well prepared for the future. After all, people send their children to Independent schools because they know it gives them a great advantage in life and they will often leave with top marks and I want to do the same for my child even if I cannot afford Independent. So, my question is, do you think that it has become even more important now for children, whether in Grammar or not, to do well to compete in today's market? As a result, will competition become even more fierce for the 11+?
MarbleRun

Re: 11+ and current crisis

Post by MarbleRun »

Do you think that the current financial crisis and job situation will make the whole 11+ field much more competitive?
Yes.

Definitely.

Even aside from all the other things you said - the situation has been getting worse for the past three or four years simply because children who would previously have been privately educated are now competing for grammar school places because their parents' jobs are not as secure as they once were!

Something's gotta give though... :shock:
menagerie

Re: 11+ and current crisis

Post by menagerie »

It has changed, you're right. A friend has a son at Tiffin in sixth form. She said when he sat there were around 400 boys trying for places. Last year it was more like 1400. The recession means people who would have gone private are now aiming for grammars. And as you say, there's probably a lot more emphasis on good grades and achievement.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now