Mock results - what can be inferred??!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gatleymum

Mock results - what can be inferred??!

Post by gatleymum »

We've just got the results from DDs mock exam in Trafford, and I'm trying to get some sense of how they might compare to the real thing - does anyone know whether the range of children that do mocks is representative of the real exams or is the standard higher/lower? DD got near enough the average mark (50th centile) on all three papers.. but she is not average in her school, always in the top group for everything..
TraffordMum

Re: Mock results - what can be inferred??!

Post by TraffordMum »

The Trafford exams are opt-in, which means that, generally, those taking the exams are in with a chance of passing. You do get some local kids who take the exam because they are local and it's the thing you do however bright you are but, increasingly, this is getting rarer.

The mocks take things one stage further because again, generally, it's only those parents of kids who are potential passers who are also genned up enough to know of the existence of the exams and want their kids to have a chance.

I think that, therefore, an average performance in the mocks doesn't equate to an average performance nationally. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you what it does equate to.

I think the mocks work in terms of exposing your child to an exam-type situation, time management and for finding out which areas they are not as good at (assuming the mock results provide this information). They don't work in terms of telling you that your child will pass the real thing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now