exhausted

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ros78

exhausted

Post by Ros78 »

My DD has been preparing herself for almost 13 months at AE Tuition for her 11+ the fear of her ebing tri-lingual and being only 9 scared me.

At first she gathered the techcniques and 2 months ago when we stated the practice test she was highly in her 90% score for both VR & NVR -

Suddenly last week she has a total rejection - here scores were in the average of 66% - same tests, same techniques, same questions -

I do not know what to do, please help me.
fatbananas

Re: exhausted

Post by fatbananas »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... -in-year-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See the link above. It talks about exhaustion and burn out. Everyone is exhausted at the moment I've read on here countless times about how tired DC can be at this time. I'm sure someone more experienced than me will come along to reassure and advise you. Have you talked to her about why she's now not performing as she did? I think I would agree a break with her. She knows the stuff now (otherwise she wouldn't've been getting 90%s before). I think maybe let her have a couple of weeks off and then start again, slowly, so that she can build up for the exam.

Have you asked them at AE tuition for their advice? I bet they see a lot of it at this time of year.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

If she is typically a high 90s scorer, don't worry. I've read countless posts on here, and know anecdotally from friends of many many children who have exactly the same pattern. Just weeks before the exam, they dip massively. Maybe take a week off. Go back in with those 10 mins a day exams.

You could suggest she does other things that keep the mind fresh and stimulated, which are laterally linked to the skills she needs in exams. Eg word searches and anagram games, card pairing memory games, 20 mins on free rice maths quiz etc. Check she's getting plenty of fresh air and exercise too, so that her body stays fit and healthy and she sleeps well.

Everyone is shattered right now. The endless rain has had us all cooped up and the warm, wet weather has bred all kinds of minor but draining viruses and bugs.

Give her a proper holiday for a week or more, then get back to it gently. Bet she'll be fine.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Don't worry about this dip in scores. It is very common. She is tired and apprehensive about the impending exam. Give her some time. A little time out will do wonders. A picnic or curling up with a fav book or a great movie will lift her spirits. Hugs and massages help too. :)
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.