Is anyone else starting straight away with the next DC!?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Is anyone else starting straight away with the next DC!?

Post by Manana »

DC1 has just passed his 11+; he did brilliantly and we are all v proud. I am now starting again with DC2-arghhh!

We go through something and I think to myself, 'but you know this-we've done this lots and lots of times!' and then I realise that, no-it wasn't you it was DC1!!

It suddenly feels like a very long road ahead of us!
secondtime

Re: Is anyone else starting straight away with the next DC!?

Post by secondtime »

I have done it three times over a five year gap - you will become an expert! The questions seem so easy now to me although I remember puzzling over several NVR questions the first time.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Not exactly (but the 2nd one is only 5 so it's just times tables games, spot the differences, etc with him at the moment) - but I do keep catching myself asking him "do you know what **** means" every time I come across a word I think he might not know, which is a habit I developed with ds1!
SlummyMummy

Post by SlummyMummy »

Yes. DC2 in 2 years time. Our options for schools will be fewer as well with DC2 (as we can't move again), so makes sense to start early. We have a routine with DC1, will just continue with that with DC2 I suppose. After 4 years of doing this, I might forget what life was like before 11+.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Like you, Okanagan, I'm aware now my year 2 ds needs to keep on top of everything; I don't want him to fall behind in anything, I particularly want to make sure he has a good vocabulary - and can read! He's very good at maths but of course you have to READ maths questions (and he's not great at reading).

I'm not thinking of practising SATS let alone 11+ work but I am now aware of things he needs to know, and determined to keep him motivated - he is, a bit like my dd who has just passed the 11+ - we hope - naturally inquisitive and competitive.

He has heard a lot about the 11+ so he has been telling all his friends he is going to pass!!! Which is laughable because nearly ALL the boys in his class are the oldest child in their families with just younger siblings, so they've probably never even heard of the 11+.

Okanagan, you might know the stats on this. It's a bit worrying for my ds if true, but there are more boys at our school in every single year - and the boys in my ds' class all have younger - brothers- not sisters! Have more boys been born in the last ten? years than girls? Not sure that's a good thing, if true .. or maybe it is just coincidence in our area.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx wrote:Okanagan, you might know the stats on this. It's a bit worrying for my ds if true, but there are more boys at our school in every single year - and the boys in my ds' class all have younger - brothers- not sisters! Have more boys been born in the last ten? years than girls? Not sure that's a good thing, if true .. or maybe it is just coincidence in our area.
There are always more boys than girls born - for example this shows the ratios for Scotland over the last 150 years, but I've not heard of any particular change in the last 10 years.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx - just for you! Population ratio estimates males:females for Rugby district as of 2012 (source)
Age / ratio of males:female
1: 1.021
2: 1.044
3: 1.036
4: 1.036
5: 0.948
6: 1.144
7: 1.016
8: 1.198
9: 1.195
10: 1.124
11: 1.113
12: 1.028

So yes particularly higher amongst the current 8 and 9 year olds but closer to parity amongst the younger ones!
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Yes my DS passed this year and my DD is in yr 2 - but Im not wanting to make the same mistakes this time and having to cram it all in the last yr, as they say "if only I knew then what I know now" Just things like spelling, vocab, names of things eg colours, animals etc I was appauled at how little my DS knew when we came to doing the test papers (i mean general knowledge of what things are called) so hoping it will be less of a struggle 2nd time round.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Okanagan! The ratio looks just fine. I had a sudden typical paranoid fear that when my ds does the 11+, there will be 400 boys after 120 places .... so I'm glad to know there are plenty of girls around! I knew you would find out!

Janet71, I am like you; my dd passed this year and my ds is in year 2. He genuinely thinks he is very clever. My dh tells me my ds is very good at maths. But like you, I'm suddenly aware of the many things he really ought to know or be learning, having just been through the 11+ (and my dd has probably passed - we have yet to have it confirmed in March!) I have no plans to do anything with him for years, except to keep him keen and motivated.

I shouldn't even be thinking of the 11+ when he is only in year 2!

But I'm certainly aware of it ...
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I did DIY tutoring with DS1 who is now in Y8. Then had a year 'off'. Then did similar with DS2 who is in Y6 but tailored to his particular strengths / needs (less coaching, more encouraging him to write legibly :lol: )
Now thinking about twins in Y4. One wants to do extra work (we call it 'brain training') but doesn't need it. The other needs it (could do with a boost with maths and learning to work more quickly) but doesn't want it. Both working at different levels so I've had to photocopy pages from the books I've bought so they won't notice the different age ranges on the covers. At the moment I'm working with one while the other is at Cubs then working with the other while the one is at Brownies. I know Y4 is early but I'm only talking about 20 minutes a week. The older two really benefitted and I enjoyed spending that time 1 on 1 with them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now