Prepping for grammar school? Is year 3 too early?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum23*

Re: Prepping for grammar school? Is year 3 too early?

Post by mum23* »

:roll:
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

Hope you are all going to have the stamina to carry on at this level up until A'level. Having had four at Grammar school (not prepared until year 5 ) the tutoring continues once they get there for some. One son has friends at a leading Grammar school who are still tutored outside school because.... guess what the teachers cannot possibly give a class of 30 or more the attention needed !!!
wellprepared

Post by wellprepared »

Hello there,
In regards to vocab improvement, i scratched around 5 word list including compound words, gender and young ones, 11+ important words including Patricia's word list and quite a few from other websites and daily gave her slip of ten words to look and learn in the morning, term time. I asked to have a look at them atleast 5 times during the day whenever she had time.
I think that helped her a lot.
Thanks
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Yes i did something similar and our list was always about 5 pages long, we did them in the car to and fro to school, while he was in the bath, quick 10 mins each day, also he liked playing free rice you can get if you Google it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MollyB wrote:Hope you are all going to have the stamina to carry on at this level up until A'level. Having had four at Grammar school (not prepared until year 5 ) the tutoring continues once they get there for some. One son has friends at a leading Grammar school who are still tutored outside school because.... guess what the teachers cannot possibly give a class of 30 or more the attention needed !!!
Possibly the '"still" tutored' has some relevance?? DS1's GS head takes the view that having been assessed as suitable for a GS education, a pupil really has to choose not to get top marks, so to speak. They do only have classes of 25, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't think you can describe entrance exams as being "assessed as suitable for a grammar school education" Being prepared well to sit a couple of hours of tests does not make you a great grammar school pupil. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:I don't think you can describe entrance exams as being "assessed as suitable for a grammar school education" Being prepared well to sit a couple of hours of tests does not make you a great grammar school pupil. DG
I hesitate to say, my point entirely (but not for long :roll: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx