First exam in a week - top tips?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NotAPushyMum

First exam in a week - top tips?

Post by NotAPushyMum »

DD2 will be taking the first of three grammar school exams next weekend (we're in Trafford).

Does anyone have any tips on how to play these last few days, in terms of ... well everything. Any specials foods, confidence building, sleep encouragement, how much practise to do etc?
ginx

Re: First exam in a week - top tips?

Post by ginx »

Hi, we did nothing. I mentioned a few words to my dd but she wanted to leave it.

I have to say, most people on here seemed to work hard, some concentrated on areas where their dc were confident to boost their confidence.

We went for a week of reasonably early nights.

But I don't think my dd has passed! So maybe working hard till the last moment is best!

Good luck
Raftpe

Re: First exam in a week - top tips?

Post by Raftpe »

I find that the children get more pressure from the parents than the test itself.

My advice ( and this is what I have tried to do) is to simply play down the exam itself. If your child has put regular preparation in let them feel that this final week is simply to top-up on what they know.

I have been using the bond11+ site for practice tests and had more success by sitting down with my son and working through the tests together as opposed to asking him to work through it alone.

Not sure i've given any real advice but really play it down and try not to let the children feel your anxiety.

if they are ready this final week is just recapping