Oversubscription

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Footymad

Oversubscription

Post by Footymad »

If my daughter who has passed the 11+ for her chosen school, fails to get a place in March due to oversubscription,(we are out of catchment) would we stand a good chance of gaining a place if we appealed??
This would mean that the school would need to increase its mal*?? How often does this occur??

Any help would be appreciated.

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

Footymad,

Not to say that you wouldn't get through on appeal, but we were in the same situation this March with my son. He passed his 11+ with very good marks but we did not get our first choice due to oversubscription. We did appeal but with 40+ other appeals unfortunately our case was not presumed strong enough, as my son had received an offer at our second choice Grammar. However if I recall around 13 places were offered above the normal subscription numbers, so there could be hope for your appeal to be successful.

Ironically we were advised by the LEA that we had the option to re-appeal 2 weeks into the new school year, due to irregularities in the initial appeal procedures, but having already been settled for 2 weeks my son stated he did not want us to proceed.

How much more can they mess about with our childrens lives?????

Post by Guest »

Hi Guest,
Thanks for you're reply. Our first choice school is the only Girls Grammar School around for miles and is out of catchment.

My daughter excels in all subjects and is also a gifted actress and singer performing in lots of acting and singing roles.

Here other 2 choices are in catchment but they are comprehensives that get extremely oversubscribed, hope this may help her to get her first choice out of catchment girls grammar,(her nearest comp) just on our doorstep is awful and we can't get her brother out of it!! the school is under subscribed and all the alternative schools are oversubscribed!!!!!

We've been on appeal for one school but there was no hope because my son who is in yr 8 his yr group is under by 30!! places the school he was applying for is over by 2!

Lancs LEA only give you 3 preferences, or next Lea for the grammar she's after(north yorks) give you 5 preferences!!

We are fingers Toes and the like xx'd for March 1st 06!!

Hope it doesn't have to go to appeal????

Last year there were only 11 appeals for the school she wants and 3 got a place, but I've heard that there will be alot more this year.

Does anyone know it if a child passes a selection review they are then classed as passing the 11+ and get thrown into the same lucky dip as the kids that passed the 11+ in the first instance???????(seems very unfair)

Footymad.
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

9 weeks 1 day and counting.

Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!

:?
Footymad :P

Post by Guest »

Footymad,

Hope you had a good Christmas, further to the last comment, of the 40+ appeals that I had previously mentioned this did include a mixture of children who had not originally passed the 11+, and those who had passed but were not successful in being offered a place. I can't be sure but I am sure that out of the successful appeals some of the places offered probably would have been to those children who had not originally passed.

I agree with you fully that this does not seem at all fair, when a place can be offered to a child who did not originally pass the exam, but not to one who passed all on their own merit.

Best of luck for March
Ash

Post by Ash »

Hi Guest,

Just to let you know that we are also keeping our fingers crossed for 1st March 06. Our son passed his 11+ (scoring 141 in both papers) but we are well outside the catchment area of the grammar schools we have placed on our appln form. In fact, we are about 10.5 miles from the 1st choice school.

If we don't get place in March, then we will move closer to the school, which will result in our younger two boys moving from the primary school that we all (inc the kids) are very happy with.

What a mess our education system is in!

Good luck!

Ash