Practise and Pass 11+ by Peter Williams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Practise and Pass 11+ by Peter Williams

Post by fatbananas »

Does anyone have any experience of these books? I've been looking at the maths and English series on Amazon and they look very good, but I wondered if anyone had actually used them and had a high opinion of them?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Celtic Worrier

Re: Practise and Pass 11+ by Peter Williams

Post by Celtic Worrier »

I bought the nvr 1 & 2 (can't comment on the english and maths books we only do vr & nv in our region) I liked them they were clear and well laid out and they were rated highly on amazon, which was why I bought them, but my son found them very easy and so I think they are great for practice and confidence building but a few steps behind the GL practice papers

CW
copella

Post by copella »

Agree with Celtic Warrior (great name). Good as an introduction and for practicing areas they might have a few problems with but far too easy.
penguin

Post by penguin »

I think I bought them at too late a stage in my daughter's prep - and the books 3 which I ordered still haven't been sent out.

I used a few questions from the maths ones and for the purpose of extra questions to practice with - earlier on - they are good but my daughter was more used to the Bond regime and then we'd moved onto GL papers and using ten ticks worksheets to practice problem areas

another point is that they have more white space on the page than the ae ones which I find too cluttered
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for your responses. DS only in year 4, so maybe easier questions for an 11-plus child might be reasonably challenging for a year 4 one? And I quite liked how they were set out in terms of question type likely to be asked, under the particular subject heading. At least, that's how I interpreted it ...
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I used those books..they had 2 sections to each topic ..1 easy, 1 harder. I thought they were 11 plus level ..don't think my year 4 DD would get many right ! Didn't look at their practice papers though.

I liked the fact there was an explanation and sample questions at the beginning of each section...always useful when you need to sound as if you know what you are talking about !

Bananas..my DD wouldn't like those ( at this age ) but she does sit down by herself and looks through the 10 minute Bond books...they look a bit more appealing to the eye perhaps.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Scarlett. I also liked the explanation and sample questions bit. As much as anything, I wanted to get a set of books where I knew that, if we went through all the areas covered in those books, I would have the 11+ maths syllabus covered; so if they're too hard for a year 4 child at least I'll know what to plan for and what I'm supposed to be doing :? :oops: :roll:

DS also likes the 10 minute books, mainly, I think because the time limit is strictly stated! He did an English one last night; learned what 'masculine' meant (gander, duke, nephew etc.) and went round talking in a very deep voice for the rest of the evening!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now