A question for you all

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Does teacher77 have children? If so is it not obvious that a parent will do what is absolutely the right thing for their child, hence politicians not sending their children to non selective comp schools.

Whilst i believe that it is hypocritical of a politician to "select" a school for their child whilst following the party line, as a parent the child is paramount and that I can understand.

Who is brave enough to put their child forward to begin the change in ethos of truly comprehensive education. In life very few people have the inner strength to make sacrifices for the greater good we all believe and know what Utopia should be but when our direct links with that ideal involves our children's future who would scorn us for electing to apply for the best that is available rather than the ideal.

I for one will gladly stand proud and say I chose the best for my daughter because whilst I recognise that there should be a system where all schools are on a more or less equal par with each other I am not prepared to subject my most precious child to anything but the best I can give her. In life she will be exposed to all aspects of life different from ours and so as a child while I have some control I chose to try to protect her and offer her opportunities that will allow her to get the best out of herself to equip herself for the real world.

Am I selfish?..... yes, but I'm proud I am doing the best for her and teacher77 can have any opinion of me they like but I'm not unique and there are many many parents like me right across the social/political divide.
NKM

Re: A question for you all

Post by Guest »

teacher77 wrote: I am what might be called a "loony lefty" but am genuinley interested in your ideas, and in finding out what motivates you to get your kids into "better schools" above "state schools". Kids are kids at the end of the day, and not all do well in grammar schools - to a certain extent they are worked and worked, and moulded into "exam robots".
Please stay in what you call the "state sector"! I have children in both grammar and independent schools, and I definitely wouldn't want them taught by someone with so little understanding of either children (Lefty teachers always call them "kids") or of schools (Comment removed by Moderator - Sally-Anne)
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Hear, hear NKM
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

I totally agree NKM1.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please could I ask the most recent posters to remove any personal or inflammatory remarks from their posts.

If you don't I shall have to do it for you!

I realise that this topic is controversial, but Teacher77 posted her enquiry in the best spirit, and I would ask you all to respect that.

Sally-Anne
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Incidentally Teacher77 (and this is not personal I promise you) as a potential teacher of the future, would you provide a letter of support for a parent wishing to appeal to a grammar school?

I only ask because it has been a topical issue over the past month with those among us preparing our appeal paperwork.
guestmum

Post by guestmum »

saw this post on first outing today and showed it to my 14 year old. We both agreed (after much conversation as you would expect from a 14 year old!!) - that we would both like to know where this teacher is so we can avoid that school - so short sighted ( We can think of other things to say, but respect rules). All we can say is experience counts for a lot - both as a parent and a teacher - and the 14 year old has learnt a lot about that half way through his GCSES!!!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sally-Anne wrote:Please could I ask the most recent posters to remove any personal or inflammatory remarks from their posts.

If you don't I shall have to do it for you!

I realise that this topic is controversial, but Teacher77 posted her enquiry in the best spirit, and I would ask you all to respect that.

Sally-Anne
Reading the latest posts, I can only reiterate my earlier comments - the wrath of the Moderators will be upon you!

Sally-Anne
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

I totally agree Sally-Anne!

I would also be interested to know the answer to the following question:
would you provide a letter of support for a parent wishing to appeal to a grammar school?
From a parent's point of view:
I have been up against this so called "wall" myself and often wondered if it was the schools or teachers personnel opinions that often sway their decision to help a parent appeal.

AM
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thank you to those who were able to respond so quickly!

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now