Top English State schools by University entrance success

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Top English State schools by University entrance success

Post by Guest55 »

Hmmm - mathematically this is flawed as you are looking at outcomes of entries 7 years ago from exams taken 8 years ago!

The teaching staff, students and many other variables will already have changed since August!

I'd be much more convinced by looking round a school during the day and seeing the engagement of the students and the quality of the teaching.
miniwheels70

Post by miniwheels70 »

Hello.

I don't see how this is mathematically flawed. I do not claim that it is based on children entering the school this year, last year or the year before that. This is based on the latest full released figures from the government. Obviously, these exam results are based on children who were taking A-Levels that year, I do not think I need to clarify that.

As I have mentioned in the original post, this is just me finding it useful to compare schools in a very specific way. It is not meant to be used on its own to decide the fate of your child, but hopefully will help some parents that would like information like this, easily accessible to them.

You cannot guarantee that a school will maintain it's standards for ever, but as parents, I think it's useful to have as much information available to us in an easily consumable way as possible. That way, we can make informed decisions based on all the information, whether they are from statistics, visiting schools, feedback from parents of children at those schools, or any other source.

I guess we all have our own criteria we wish to base our decisions on and I think some people will find this information useful

Thanks
Guest55 wrote:Hmmm - mathematically this is flawed as you are looking at outcomes of entries 7 years ago from exams taken 8 years ago!

The teaching staff, students and many other variables will already have changed since August!

I'd be much more convinced by looking round a school during the day and seeing the engagement of the students and the quality of the teaching.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm a maths teacher - that's the basis of my comments on your hypothesis ...

I think it should be very low down on your list - your child might not want a course that these universities are highly rated for.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Nope that's right, but unfortunately a lot of employers do look for Russell group graduates.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Do they really though , mystery ?

My son is job hunting. Exeter uni graduate. Wasn't RG now is.

On the grad schemes, they want 2 :1s - it doesn't actually matter where from, it's a computer says no thing.
Second up - do tests - again, it's not important where you went or what you did, it's about passing the tests.

Once you get through those, then it's an interview or assessment day etc etc.

I don't think RG comes into it for employment.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well sorry OK I was over- generalising, but if you look through uni by uni employment stats it is the "top" unis in general have the better employment stats.

Of course sometimes really you need to look at it course by course rather than uni by uni - you could have a great course for employment at a poor uni and vice versa.

I still think though that some unis will have the edge - all things being equal a candidate with a 2:1 from a "top" uni who was identical in every way to a student with a 2:1 from a "new university" would have the edge for the job selection procedure.
miniwheels70

Post by miniwheels70 »

I did not intend to hypothesise at all. I was simply displaying the D of E results for the percentage of pupils that went to a specific group of universities. I will leave it to each person to decide whether these numbers or universities are of any importance to them or not.
As a point of reference, when I went to school, there were no figures such as these, but I wished I had known that only 20% of my year would even go on to do A-Levels, let alone go on to university.
Additionally, my company (a consultancy) DOES look for graduates from Russell Group universities to take onto their Grad scheme. I am sure that does not apply to the majority of Grad schemes, but it does suit the company I work for.

Perhaps I should have made the title of the post "Ordered list of schools by entrance to Russell Group universities" to make it clearer, but hopefully, most people will be able to determine this for themselves.

Guest55 wrote:I'm a maths teacher - that's the basis of my comments on your hypothesis ...

I think it should be very low down on your list - your child might not want a course that these universities are highly rated for.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Well...I can only talk from the experiences I have had recently - and it is not that simple :D Also I don't really believe the job statistics posted by the unis - the new website is much better, where you can actually see the proportion getting into decent jobs (ie grad schemes) as opposed to those getting ordinary jobs (ie working on shop floors or coffee houses) . In some cases it is quite alarming. I would also add that my son does not know a person leaving this year who has secured a decent job. Most, thanks to rich parents are embarking on masters degrees - ie postponing the inevitable.

Also I work for a top US company recruiting at the moment. All jobs advertised are for graduates with a 2 1 - the recruitment is done out of house by a consultancy firm, and the selection process is done by computer, not by human. If it were it might be different.

Miniwheels - is your firm a recruitment consultancy ?
miniwheels70

Post by miniwheels70 »

No, the company I work for is a software development, business intelligence and management consultancy company.
I guess our graduate intake is very mathematical and economics based.

Our recruitment is done manually and is not computer-based. The initial filtering is done on graduates with good degrees, from (what they consider) good universities.

Thanks
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep, 'fraid I know people who look at applications that way too - in various different employment areas ....... naughty maybe, but there is some flexibility in the approach - let's say it looks as though someone chose that course for a very good reason rather than it was the only one they could get onto it could make a difference. Or let's say they were clearly wizard at their subject and it was relevant to the job and they had clearly really come into their own beyond school then yes, this would all override the feeling of "oh that's a 2:1 in catering from Leicester Poly under a new name" when reading the applications.

Is there any reliable data on this anywhere?