fair indicator for 11 plus pass or not?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum in sidcup

fair indicator for 11 plus pass or not?

Post by mum in sidcup »

my child achieved all level 3's in year 2 sats, level 4 in all literacy (3a in numeracy) in year 4, now in year 5 he is level 5 in both literacy and numeracy, would that seem a fair indicator to pass his 11 plus or do you think tutoring would still be needed.
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Hi Mum in Sidcup,

my daughter was in about the same position, level 3's in Yr 2 and 5's in Yr 5. We opted for some tutoring to give her the best chance possible by familiarising her with the style of questions etc. She passed with a very good score and would probably have passed without the extra help, but it helped her confidence and gave me the knowledge that I had done what I could to give her the opportunity to succeed in gaining a selective place.

Good luck!
mum in sidcup

Post by mum in sidcup »

thanks for the reply. Did you tutor yourself or get a private tutor? If the latter where did you find him/her? I'd rather go through recomendation than through the papers. What school did you choose, I see you're local.
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

A bit of both really. We bought the NFER Nelson practice papers from WHSmiths and went with a tutor who we were given a flyer from through the school. It was a group tutorial held in a public building, but that scenario met the kind of tuition we felt suited our daughter.

We opted for Chis & Sid as our first choice. It was our daughter's favourite and we both got a good feel from the place too.
mum in bexley

Post by mum in bexley »

how helpful was your school with the 11 plus? Ours treat the subject like a dirty word! If you mention it they treat you like a pushy mother or get on the defensive straight away - we had a terrible pass rate last year.
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

We are from Birmingham (so a bit different) but my daughter was in the same sort of position - one mark off a level 5 in maths in year 4 and a level 5 in year 5.

The school was also very off with us when we mentioned the 11+. Her school has only ever had one or 2 from each year going to grammar and sometimes none at all.

We used a tutor (every other week so as not to put her off) and she got in. Now she has been at the school for a year she is actually near the top of the class, so I am absolutely sure that your son/daughter will be able to get into a grammar school with those marks.

Go for it girl! And don't bother telling your primary school.
mum in sidcup

Post by mum in sidcup »

Hi KE mum,
lovely to here someone being so positive! Schools (or our school anyway) don't seem to like laying themselves on the line by saying whether they think your child is in with a good chance or not. It's not always easy to judge your own child either, because of course we're biased!
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Hi Mum in Bexley,

At our school the teachers were not able to say if they thought a child would pass or not, just that it was a possibility or quite unlikely! We knew within her school and the National Curriculum our daughter was doing well, but did not know how this would relate to within the borough and the eleven+.

The Bexley schools are allowed to go through the familiarisation papers provided by the borough, but are not allowed to do any more than that.

Our head did say at the secondary transfer meeting that you could get practice papers to do at home, and also mentioned tutoring, but added that it may not be in a child's best interest to be tutored up to pass but then struggle at a selective school.

10 from my daughter's class (of 30) got a selective place this year and I think about 7 or 8 from the other 2 classes......higher than in recent years I think. Some who had tutoring did not get a selective place and some who didn't did. I think the majority just did practice papers at home.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now