11+ exams versus Key Stage 2 targets

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Poppy

11+ exams versus Key Stage 2 targets

Post by Poppy »

Dear All, my child has just finished year 5 with key stage 2 scores of around level 4c - therefore she is on target for all 4's, albeit strong 4's. She will take an 11+ for an independent school in January - the Verbal Reasoning is age scored (which is good as she is an August child) and then there is English and Maths. I have appointed a tutor for her, so that we can get her used to exam style and verbal reasoning etc.

I am a little concerned that she is not heading for level 5's but we want her to pass an 11+ - any views on how realistic this is?? I guess each school is different - this school is not a major academic school, but they do expect you to pass the exam for year 7 entry.

Thank you. :D

Post by Guest »

Can't answer the question directly, but remember that the SATs levels are not age standardised, so it would be reasonable to expect that an August child would get a lower level than a September one.
pudding

KS2/11plus

Post by pudding »

My daughters Headteacher said when we approached her that in her opinion children should only sit 11plus if they are a high 4 to 5 depending on age at Y5 Sats. My daughter got all 5's. It seems many other parents did not agree with her advice as many had private lessons for their children even though they fell short on their Sats.

In the Heads opinion these children would struggle with the work and she thought it was unfair of the parents to push them into this situation. Some did pass others failed even though they had lessons.

I would go speak to your childs teacher as they will know your childs strengths and whether they would thrive or sink at Grammar.
katel

Post by katel »

But a significant number of Year 7s in grammar schools don't have 3 5's!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The QCA/sats tests are a different type of test and there is no test of verbal or non verbal reasoning.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Katel - yes buit VERY FEW have 3 level 4s and they did struggle
katel

Post by katel »

Yes, but pudding was suggesting that a child needs to have aproaching 3 5s in Year 5 to be on track for passing the 11+ which strilkes me as being a bit unrealistic and alarming for most of us!

Post by Guest »

Surely it is not just about passing the eleven plus but been able to cope with the work once the child has started at the chosen school.

Many children who have been pushed by parents and have their children live and breath test papers in some cases for upto 3 years who then manage a pass surely will strugle with the work.

I would rather a child of mine be top of a non selective school than struggle to keep up at a Grammar School.
Catherine

Re: KS2/11plus

Post by Catherine »

pudding wrote:My daughters Headteacher said when we approached her that in her opinion children should only sit 11plus if they are a high 4 to 5 depending on age at Y5 Sats. My daughter got all 5's. It seems many other parents did not agree with her advice as many had private lessons for their children even though they fell short on their Sats.

In the Heads opinion these children would struggle with the work and she thought it was unfair of the parents to push them into this situation. Some did pass others failed even though they had lessons.

I would go speak to your childs teacher as they will know your childs strengths and whether they would thrive or sink at Grammar.
Some teachers don't know much about the 11+.

My son's primary school in Bucks was adamant that only the extremely bright are grammar school material, whereas Bucks grammars receive about 30% of the county's students. This is because traditionally the school has a very low pass rate, and this probably caused by their refusal to even discuss the 11+ except for the information evening.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

There is a lot to be said for children who work systemtically and give it all they've got. They may not be the high flyers initially, but their attention to detail and commitment stands them in great stead for a grammar school education.

I speak as someone with a son who had all level 5s in year 5 and scored very near the top in the kent test papers. His commitment leaves a lot to be desired however, and there are peers who are overtaking him, some of whom got into the school on appeal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now