The 2014 thread - slow and steady wins the race ....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bromley mum

Re: The 2014 thread - slow and steady wins the race ....

Post by bromley mum »

fatbananas wrote: Are CATS tests NVR tests? We had a note at the beginning of year 4, saying they would be done in the spring term, so I'm a bit confused. :?
Yes, CATS do have some NVR questions. DD thought, however, that the CATS NVR were easier than the 11 plus Bond ones.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That's interesting; I wonder why the CATS tests were brought forward. Do all the schools do CATS tests at the same time of year? DS did say the test was 'easy' but I always worry when he says things like that :roll: :lol:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.arcademicskillbuilders.com/g ... eteor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.multiplication.com/games/play/granny-prix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.learntables.co.uk/square_numbers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/Gh ... /gbcd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mad4maths.com/multiplication ... ath_games/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there are lots more too, Google times tables or multiplication games. Some are better than others.

I also do a game with playing cards deal 2 at a time and the first one to multiply them together and answer gets a point. You can start off by giving child a point if they get it right or else you get the point. (playing for chocolate adds new incentive!)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you Yoyo; that's very helpful. I especially like the playing cards/ chocolate option. I think that will help both of us get through it!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Keep the picture cards in -11 for a jack, 12 for a queen and 13 for a King.

We also use flashcards at school, Tables ( eg 3 x7) on one side , answer on the other. I found some (free) printable ones online. The children love testing themselves and others.

If you have a Snakes and Ladders board you can play it using a bank of questions, Child can only go up the ladders if they get Q right and can avoid sliding downa snake if they give correct answer. When it comes to adults turn the child has to answer a question but the aim is to stop adult going up ladder ( by getting the answer right) or making them slide down snake if the child has the correct answer. It's useful because it overcomes problem of adult having an unfair advantage and also children are vindictive little devils at heart!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

:lol:
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hi Fatbananas, DD did her CAT tests first term of year 4 (ie September 2012 - literally straight after the summer holidays)

We are going to start with doing the Susan D**** VR technique books as they seem to come highly recommended and I like the idea of teaching the technique. We'll probably start that in the Easter Hols as DD is focussing on English now.

My understanding is that the CAT tests are done every year now.. and a supposed pattern emerges of the child's potential. Also school tells us that CATs are tutor proof, but personally I can't see how? Surely VR and NVR practise would help?

SH
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I have found it helpful - though not stimulating! - to give my dc 60 multiplication sums each day to be completed in 10 minutes. The same 60 questions repeated each day for a week as this built up speed and confidence. And by the end of the week they do well. These can be generated on a variety of programs available on line. You can then add in number bonds to 12- addition and subtraction - and also division. Also it was useful to get my dc used to doing 10 minutes work each week day( no homework from school.) It takes very little time for them to get extremely competent at this and then I moved on!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Fat bananas, did some bond 8-9 vr and tighten moved on to 9-10. They do n't really seem any harder so seems a bit of a waste of time to finish a book for the sake of it. As Kent 11plus is a mystery at the moment , doing a mix of things seems to be a better plan than practising a very limited range of question types. Just guessing really.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks NKM: funny you should say that because I gave DS 60 multiplication sums yesterday, 2 wrong and today he completed them 40 seconds quicker but still with two wrong (8x3 and 11x12!!!), so I think that's progress!

Thanks for the info Sleepyhead. I agree about the tests not being tutor-proof. There are many kids in my DC's school who've been tutored for years already, so that can only help them.

Mystery: All the exam formats seem all over the place at the moment, from year to year and from school to school, so it's anyone's guess. Ah well, as we've started with the Bond 8-9 I will continue for now; and I'm hoping it will give him a sense of achievement, completing the whole thing. He's largely fine but gets knotted up with the ones where you have to put a letter in between two partial words to form two new words (peac(?)ome, for eg). I'm sure there's a knack to them, but haven't worked it out yet because I can just see the two new words that they should be. Any tips? Perhaps that's a type of question? I'll have a look through the Bond how to VR book again :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now