Waiting Lists

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
countrymum

Waiting Lists

Post by countrymum »

Apologies as this has probably been asked a squillion times but how does it work?

Any schools that DD passed GS exam for but doesn't get allocated, who do I contact about going on the waiting list/s (does it depend on individual schools). If applying to schools in different borough, would you need to contact both LEAs and respective schools.

Could anyone offer a brief outline as to how a waiting list works? Also are all school's obliged to tell you where exactly on the list ones DC is. What would you think a rough number your child would be very unlikely to get a place?

Something like 20+ maybe? Again could the answer to this be quite specific to individual schools.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Waiting Lists

Post by Sally-Anne »

countrymum wrote:who do I contact about going on the waiting list/s (does it depend on individual schools). If applying to schools in different borough, would you need to contact both LEAs and respective schools.
You will get full details of how to apply for waiting lists in your allocation letter. Your home LA should be the first point of contact, although sometimes things have been known to go slightly pear-shaped between LAs after the initial allocation process, so it can be wise to check with the other LA(s) that your child is definitely on the waiting list for each school, and get it in writing.
Could anyone offer a brief outline as to how a waiting list works?
There are generally fixed dates, around 6 weeks apart, when further admission rounds take place, so roughly April 15th, June 1st, etc. The biggest shake-down is in the second round. After that it is increasingly unlikely that your child will be offered a place.
Also are all school's obliged to tell you where exactly on the list ones DC is.
Yes, but bear in mind that your child can move up or down the list. If someone moves into the area and qualifies, and they are ahead of you under the admissions criteria your child could be "gazumped". That doesn't tend to be much a problem for grammars, but it can present a problem for other, non-selective schools. I have known someone go from 1st to 4th on a waiting list within a couple of days, and then gain a place a couple of days later! (That was in July when "formal admission rounds" often get thrown out with the bathwater.)
What would you think a rough number your child would be very unlikely to get a place? Something like 20+ maybe? Again could the answer to this be quite specific to individual schools.
Very much specific to each school, and it depends on lots of factors, although I would say that after the second round of admissions, anything below 5th is unlikely to gain a place at most grammars.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Wow, thank you SO much Sally-Anne! Really helpful :D

Much of that I didn't know and is very reassuring to now know. Appreciate we are some time away from allocations but feel much calmer knowing how it all works. One school I briefly spoke to (after she had passed their exam) about waiting lists were a bit vague when I asked whether I could specifically know where DD may be on a future waiting list for that school. Hence why I thought maybe they aren't obliged to tell you, though I imagine extremely helpful to know your child's position.

You mention a letter. As my CAF form was done online and I seem to remember ticking to get her allocation online would it then explain how to apply to go on a waiting list in that email? Is it quite a quick turn around or can it be a while to actually get on that wait list?

Better also clarify, I take it a child can be on more than one waiting list at the same time?
Thanks again Sally Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

countrymum wrote:Wow, thank you SO much Sally-Anne! Really helpful :D
Glad to help - the old donkey trotting along to do your bidding. :D
Much of that I didn't know and is very reassuring to now know. Appreciate we are some time away from allocations but feel much calmer knowing how it all works. One school I briefly spoke to (after she had passed their exam) about waiting lists were a bit vague when I asked whether I could specifically know where DD may be on a future waiting list for that school. Hence why I thought maybe they aren't obliged to tell you, though I imagine extremely helpful to know your child's position.
From the School Admissions Code, which has legal force:
Admissions Code wrote:2.14 Waiting lists must maintain a clear, fair and objective waiting list for at least the first term of the academic year of admission, stating in their arrangements that each added child will require the list to be ranked again in line with the published oversubscription criteria.
Vague is not good enough!
You mention a letter. As my CAF form was done online and I seem to remember ticking to get her allocation online would it then explain how to apply to go on a waiting list in that email? Is it quite a quick turn around or can it be a while to actually get on that wait list?
You should get e-results at the time specified by your LA. The letter should be posted first class to you thereafter. (That might differ for some LAs, so don't count on it!)
Better also clarify, I take it a child can be on more than one waiting list at the same time?
Yes, generally as many as you wish, although there may be a specified limit. You can also add new preferences or change the order of your preferences on the form you receive after 1st March.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks again Sally-Anne.

Yes they were vague, I asked specifically if I would know 'exact position' and the subject was skirted around somewhat. No yes or no.

Just a bit confused on the round thing. Think the LA that schools we have applied for, may have a round three, think is beginning of July. So is March 1st normal allocation Day and then the round in April is known as 'round one' and so on and so on. Or is March 1st the 'round one'?

If for eg my DD went on waiting list/s pretty soon after allocation Day on the 1st March, and she was very fortunate to get an offer of one of her schools that she was on the waiting list for, would we only hear around those dates you mentioned? I presumed parents just hear as and when if their child gained a place from the wait list from March 1st onwards whilst things move about a bit.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now