11plus from state schools? (bromley)

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BLuedrop

Re: 11plus from state schools? (bromley)

Post by BLuedrop »

Hopeful2002, will you be able to PM me the inde schools you are talking about please?

Moving DD to a inde school in year4 is one of my plans. Was she at the top of her class in the state school ?
Did your daughter appear for a test to get into the independent school? when did she start preparting for it?
Also, apart from what was taught at the inde school, did you get a tutor for 11plus?

My daughter attends one of the outstanding schools in Bromley ... Its a lovely school - we delayed buying a house and rented in the area so that she could get into one of the best state schools around. She is quite advanced in reading and math, but I dont think she is being challenged much. She is still in reception, so I am ignoring it for now, .... I am getting her into a habit of studying everyday though - just 30 mins for now.

I am a working mom, so I am very tight for time. However, I am more relaxed when i am better informed and planned. Thats why I am on this forum so early - to be able to learn from other parents - and give my daughter the best possible education.

thank you for your inputs everyone. Much appreciated.
BLuedrop

Post by BLuedrop »

Daogroupie wrote:I am not in your area but nationally only 7% of children go to prep schools and as the majority of them stay in private education that does not leave enough students to fill the selective school secondary places. Your train mums need to brush up on their basic maths. I run classes for students to help them secure selective places and I have prep and state schools students. Some parents have paid 12 thousand plus a year since their dcs were 4. I have had about 50 students so far and I have yet to have a prep school student who can touch some of the state school students. Some prep school parents don't want their students to come to the classes and want one to ones. Personally I think sometimes they dont want to sit in a room and find out that they just spent over one hundred thousand pounds on school fees when all the time their dc's would have done better in the state school. Our local preps really struggle to get students into the local state selectives and don't really try as they want them to stay in the private sector and they must know by now how bad their pass rates are. The preps in my dd's classes have been used to having everything done for them and do not fare well in the more competitive environment where the cheque book does not buy you a place in the play, the orchestra/band or sports team. Prep school certainly gives students and parents the belief that they are superior as you have found out with your train mums but the reality is quite different. Study the structure of the exam, do lots of mock papers, sign up for the sutton mock and you have just as good a chance of any student in a prep if not better. DG
Thank you very much for your reply. Though I can afford to pay for DD's private education, I thought it was pointless. Both my husband and I are VERY keen on getting DD to grow up in an envoirnment that shows her a true picture of what the world is like. A world, that is made up of all kinds of people - rich, poor and many shades in between. I was scared she will grow up to believe that everyone in the world is privilidged.

Daogroupie, will you be able to tell me please - at what age do children usually start going to classes like yours? How best can I prepare my daughter before she starts formal classes - without putting too much pressure? I know she is still in reception, but its never too early to start learning to be competitive, to start loving success, to start understanding that hard work has its rewards and above all, to be able to have a strong resolve and determination to achieve something - however small or big it may be...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have Y3 students in my classes. These are highly able students who are not being challenged enough at school so enjoy coming along and pitting their wits against the older students. It is not for everyone, some would not have the confidence. I would recommend some fun word searches and playing scrabble and upword at this stage to expand her vocab and reading great books. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now