Daughter not thrilled! Help!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LadyP

Daughter not thrilled! Help!

Post by LadyP »

Hello all! Ia m new to this forum and this is my first post. I am very thrilled that my Darling Daughter (DD?) has been offered a place at WHSG - our 2nd choice. However shockingly to me she is not happy all of a sudden as it dawns on her that she will be separated from all her primary school friends and secondly that WHSG is an all girls school! She knew all this from the start but perhaps did not expect it to become a reality :(

How can I motivate her and make her realise that she ought to be very proud of this achievement. I am hugely proud of her.

Second Q: Any LBBD mums out there and is there a bus from here to the school and if not how are the kids coping with the train journey :?:
hermanmunster

Re: Daughter not thrilled! HELP!

Post by hermanmunster »

my advice: don't go on about it.... probably a bit of a rebellion
FWIW my parents (foolishly) said they would leave the final decision to me ... easy to detect which school they wanted me to go to and so had some fun winding them up saying that I wanted to go to the other school!...

Kids of her age accept moving to a new school as a normal progression in life and get very embarrassed when parents keep mentioning the P word (proud)... :wink:
surreymummy

Post by surreymummy »

LadyP

My dd is the only girl from her primary school going to whsg and I was worried that she would no longer be happy with this outcome, hence me starting the thread on the Sutton forum (whsg 2013). With all the year 6's talking about their new schools and who is going where, I thought she may have regrets about putting whsg first when our second choice is also a good school, just not grammar.

I am pleased to say that there is no evidence of this. She knows what a good school she is going to and that many girls will be in the same boat. In fact, this forum seems to have found her a potential travel buddy. She is ready for this new phase in her life and realises she can now have school friends and home friends. I am sure that the induction day will relieve a lot of your dd's anxieties.

Best of luck with this though.
PS what is LBBD?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

It sounds like she is apprehensive about the transition which is perfectly normal, of course. A day at the school will set her mind at ease. On the very first half-day back in September my daughter wailed as she walked through the door, "I want to go back to schoooooollllllll!!!!" And I am sure yours will feel the same in September.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

surreymummy wrote:LadyP

My dd is the only girl from her primary school going to whsg and I was worried that she would no longer be happy with this outcome, hence me starting the thread on the Sutton forum (whsg 2013). With all the year 6's talking about their new schools and who is going where, I thought she may have regrets about putting whsg first when our second choice is also a good school, just not grammar.

I am pleased to say that there is no evidence of this. She knows what a good school she is going to and that many girls will be in the same boat. In fact, this forum seems to have found her a potential travel buddy. She is ready for this new phase in her life and realises she can now have school friends and home friends. I am sure that the induction day will relieve a lot of your dd's anxieties.

Best of luck with this though.
PS what is LBBD?
I think the OP is talking about Westcliff High School for Girls in Essex, not ?Wallington (??) - LBBD is London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, I suspect.

Assuming the above...
C2C train to Chalkwell for WHSG / WHSB / St. Thomas More well-used by pupils of those schools travelling in from further up the line - plenty of contact with the opposite gender on the way to and from school, then, even if there is apparently rather less contact between WHSG and WHSB than outsiders might assume from the fact that the two are essentially on the same site :shock: If anything, one is more likely to see local boys and girls walking into school on their own - the "railway children" tend to drift up and down from the station in companionable groups.

Also, the sixth form is mixed :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
LadyP

Re: Daughter not thrilled! Help!

Post by LadyP »

Thank you all for your responses and reassurances. Yes I think my DD is getting used to the fact that she is going to WHSG (Westcliff girls not Wallington). I was thinking it was a bit far for Surrey mummy's daughter to come to so i guess your DD is going to Wallington too. We are looking forward to the induction days in July. it's unfortunate that all the bus routes run from within nearer the school. There is none near Dagenham that I know of. My son is practicisng for the 11+ exams this September too! Am I a sucker for punishment or what?
LadyP

Re: Daughter not thrilled! Help!

Post by LadyP »

And yes, LBBD is London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now