New national curriculum

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

New national curriculum

Post by mystery »

This will be taught from sept 2015. The current year 4 will start year 6 in sept 2015. Will they be tested on the current curriculum for maths and English, or the new curriculum?

Just realised I have some typos in the above post - sorry.

I meant to put that the new curriculum will be taught from September 2014. The current year 4 will start year 6 in September 2014 (and be tested in September 2015). Will they be tested on the current curriculum for maths and English, or the new curriculum?

Hope I have got those dates right now!
Last edited by mystery on Wed May 08, 2013 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
mystery

The new national curriculum is imminent - what's happening?

Post by mystery »

I know that:
- a draft of it will be issued to teachers this September so they can start preparing to teach it from September 2014

- certain year groups can have the current national curriculum disapplied in maths, English and science from this September so that there can be a smoother transition to the new curriculum in September 2014

- the current year 5 will be tested on the current national curriculum in May 2014

- I'm not sure what the current year 4 will be tested on in May 2015

- I'm not sure what the new assessment framework will look like

This old document sets out some thoughts on assessment but I'm not sure what the up to date thinking is.

See Chapter 8 of this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... Report.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know anything about the big gaps I am puzzling over?
wonderwoman

Re: New national curriculum

Post by wonderwoman »

mystery wrote:Will they be tested on the current curriculum for maths and English, or the new curriculum?
I believe the new curriculum.
mystery

Re: The new national curriculum is imminent - what's happeni

Post by mystery »

Thanks Wonderwoman. Another thing is puzzling me - if they are testing the current year 4 on the new curriculum after only one year of being taught it, why aren't they one of the year groups from whom the current NC is disapplied in 2013-14 in maths, English and science?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mystery - no-one has said WHEN the new curriculum is going to be published - it says Autumn 2013 not September!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry I find it hard to navigate through all the trail of bumph on the DfE site, but they do give a September date for when they hoping the disapplication will run from - I think it's still subject to consultation and legislative approval though. Maybe the next draft of the new curriculum will be later than September but they're clearly hoping that schools will start to act upon it with some year groups from September.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can't act on something that's not published!

It starts to be taught from September 2014 ...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Have you read the disapplication document on the DfE website? Yes I know you can't act on something that is not published but it seems to be what they want people to do. Some primary schools already seem to be reading the draft document and modifying what they do in English, maths etc a bit.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not round here they aren't!

Our LA is suggesting schools wait ...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Bucks is always different! Our school is doing nothing but that's because they don't know about the very likely changes, not because the LA has told them to do nothing!

There'll be a lot to teach my current year 4 in year 6!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now