Is British Citizen living outside UK allowed for 11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Is British Citizen living outside UK allowed for 11 plus

Post by Sally-Anne »

Snowdaddy wrote:No idea why you are abroad currently but there are special rules for some, know someone whos parent worked for foreign office and was on a fixed term posting at a consulate abroad, Council had to find a place at a specific school when they returned because of an obscure rule about families of Servants of the Crown (forgot what its called) having some statutory right to continue as if posting hadn't happened.
From the 2012 School Admissions Code:
2.18 Children of UK service personnel (UK Armed Forces) - For families of service personnel with a confirmed posting to their area, or crown servants returning from overseas to live in that area, admission authorities must:

a) allocate a place in advance of the family arriving in the area provided the application is accompanied by an official letter that declares a relocation date and a Unit postal address or quartering area address when considering the application against their oversubscription criteria. This must include accepting a Unit postal address or quartering area address for a service child. Admission authorities must not refuse a service child a place because the family does not currently live in the area, or reserve blocks of places for these children;

b) ensure that arrangements in their area support the Government’s commitment to removing disadvantage for service children. Arrangements must be appropriate for the area and be described in the local authority’s composite prospectus.
The word ""must" in the Admissions Code has legal force.
T4T

Post by T4T »

I'm glad I found this post. I was just about to start a similar one. My family and I moved from Milton Keynes to Canada 2 years ago and we're considering entering our DD for this year's 11+. I sent an email to Bucks County Council and was sent a link to register her but I'm a bit sceptical about it as we haven't really prepared for it. We're thinking of registering her for the 12+ instead.
Please does anyone know when the 12+ exams are likely to be from 2013 onwards? Any advice on the materials to use for preparing for the 12+ exams?
Many thanks
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

One of my children had a friend who returned from Dubai to sit the Kent 11+ in 2010. The family did retain their property in Kent albeit rented out.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

T4T; if you are back living in this country, I think you should do the 11+. There are very few places for 12+ and it will depend on whether or not any school has vacancies. You run the risk of not getting the school you want.