Secondary school admissions procedures

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Dougal
I suggest you re-read the grammar school's entrance criteria. Some stipulate the implications of not stating the school as your 1st choice. Such as, even if your child passes the (11+) test they will not be offered a place if a school you have ranked higher also makes an offer.

Speak with your child and come to a decision about which school is the most desirable – pros and cons. Then don't worry about it!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dougal,

There is no general answer to you questions. It depends on each school.
You have a lot of time to gather all the information you need before you have make a decision. Look at the school websites for their admission policy, the leagues tables, the ofsted reports, talk to other parents, keep asking questions on this forum, and ask the schools themselves if you can't get the answer you want. The more info you collect before the open days the better.

It would be useful if you told us which schools you are looking at. You may also want to ask your questions in the appropriate region (Kent?) of the Regions section below where someone is bound to know your local schools.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

In Essex the schools have no idea of what oder you have put them down as, nor are they able to find out.

Word of warning, I know 4 families last year who only put either 2 choices down or put all Grammer schools down and did not get any schools on their list. In this instance they were put to the bottom of the pile and when every other child had got their choice, they were givena place at the school left over. You do not have to be a genius to work out that the school left over is the worse school in the County. USE YOUR OPTIONS, it is better that you choose the school rather than the LEA.

Re: Secondary school admissions procedures

Post by Guest »

Dougal wrote:I have just received information about the admissions procedure for September 2007 from my local LEA. It states that I have to send in my preferrences by October 25th. My daughter wont have taken her 11+ by then, so how will I know how to chose which school to put first?!! Can they do this? :?
Dougal
I had the same worry last oct the school advised me tht my daughter should pass 11 plus so the best course of action is to put down a goog grammar as 1st choice then the best secondary as 2nd choice then another grammar as 3rd choice. I think the system stinks. my daughter did pass with a score of 590, but not sure if this is even good enough to get her to ist choice school as cut of was 503 in medway,however some grammar schools here omly take top ranking scorers.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dougal

Really need to know what part of the country you are from. If its Bucks and you feel your child should be in a grammar, always put grammar schools first followed by uppers.The LEA go for the 1st suitable school [depending whether the child has passed or not] Other schools DO NOT know your order of preference.

Re looking at schools, yes go to open evenings, but if you are in bucks they are all very close to each other in dates, are late nights for your child,when child should be getting lots of early nights!I always recommend to look around when the child is in Y5 NOT Y6. In addition when you have come down to a chosen few you MUST do a day time tour. All schools SHOULD put on a good 'show' in the evening, but can that 'show' stand up during the day You can see how the children move around the school/how they react in lesson time.

Some schools try to put you off day time tours, ask yourself WHY? If you push hard enough they will allow tend to wait till they have enough parents to make a small group/others will get a sixth former to take you around alone. As Catherine has said ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

It's all well saying "use your options.." but what if your struggling to find 6 'good' schools? We settled for less with no regrets because we're informed. We know that if we're unsuccessful the LEA will offer us the 'sink' schools we chose not to list, anyway. We're also aware that we 're not obliged to accept the place (remember, countless parents don't!).

Is it really going to soften the blow if you choose an undesirable school rather than being offered one by your LEA? I really think not.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

We only had 4 choices here, and we put as a fourth choice a school that I would not be wholey happy with but would certainly beat the school that the LEA would have given us if we had not put it as a choice. There is only 1 school in our area that is not full after all the offers have gone out and this is the school that the LEA offers children in our area if you get put to the bottom of the pile due to not getting a place at the schools on your list. The undesirable school I'm talking about is currently under special measures.

Post by Guest »

Hi,
We only get 3 choices in East Lancs!!

So we only put the 3 most impressive schools down :?

It's a lottery!

Hope our numbers get called!

Footymad.
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

I am in Trafford, which is in South Manchester. Looking at the admissions information it looks as if we would not get her in to the good Secondary Modern near us, which means our choice if she doesn't get into the grammar is a school from the neighbouring LEA. I know that this has to be put down on the same form, but how us being out of area would affect it I don't know. This means that the pressure to get into the Grammar from where I live is great. The problem is not to let my daughter feel any of the pressure that I feel. I don't want her to be devestated if she doesn't get in

Post by Guest »

Hi,
My daughter will be devastated if she doesn't get the girl's grammar. She has wanted to go for the last 3 years!!
I keep trying to tell her that it's not the "be all and end all" but it's the only girls grammar around for miles, next suitable grammar we didn't apply for as it's about 15 miles away, the girls grammar is only 8 miles and a 15/20min bus trip.

Footymad.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now