exam types and usefulness of tutors

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
davidsdad02

exam types and usefulness of tutors

Post by davidsdad02 »

Our DS now has three places to choose from (QE, Latymer, DAO) and we will take the QE place; so I am not saying the following because we failed at the 11+ journey.

Mulling about the exams, I think DOA's VR paper is totally pointless. It is way too easy and I never figured out why it exists. Latymer's paper was apparently tutor-proof. QE's maths and English paper are probably the ones that select for actual ability as opposed to loads of tutoring. My son never had any tutoring because the tutors seem to be totally useless if you do the maths. I heard over half are tutored but less than 10% pass in some cases. So why pay for tutoring? I just gave DS practice papers.

Every parent wants the best school for their DCs but how much can tutors matter if 90% of the kids never make it in super selective places like QE?
Audreylawyer

Re: EXAM TYPES AND USEFULNESS OF TUTORS

Post by Audreylawyer »

It's horses for courses. I DIY'd with my son who has places at QEB and Bucks. Tutors have their place, and for DP's who do not have the time, or are not confident in their abilities, a tutor is a good option.

I think it would be unfair to send a child off to do an exam which will dictate how that child will be educated for the next 5-7 years without first preparing them for it.

The reality is that only a small percentage of children will end up in a grammar school, and that percentage is unlikely to change. Tutors will not affect that percentage. There are only a small number of GS places available, and the competition for them is very high. QE only has 180 places, yet over 2,000 boys sat the exam. That means that only 10% can gain a place. This has nothing to do with tutoring, it's simple availability. If fewer sat, or there were more places, then more than 10% would gain a place.

Parents are simply trying to do what they believe gives their children the best possible chance of gaining a place at the schools they think are best for their children.

VR and NVR are not taught in most primary schools, but are usually examined at the 11+. I can imagine that lots of parents believe that they are best paying for someone with experience to teach their children, rather than trying to do it themselves.

It is clear from other posts that not all bright children do well in the exams, it is also clear that children who are not quite as bright, but have been well prepared can do well. It is certainly true that not all tutored children gain places, but then neither do all children that were not tutored.

Some children respond better when they are being taught in the more structured tutoring environment. Others, like my DS would prefer to be taught by their parents. I don't think it is fair to make general sweeping statements Biut the value or otherwise of tutoring. For some it will be perfect, for others it will not. It depends very much on the child, parents and tutor.

As stated earlier, my son has gained places at GS, and we did not use a tutor. However, I would not criticise those that did.
copella

Re: EXAM TYPES AND USEFULNESS OF TUTORS

Post by copella »

Well said Audreylawyer. My DS is at Latymer. We did a mixture of DIY and paid tutoring. It worked for us. It felt better to have someone else take the strain off us and not put pressure on our home life. Parents need to make the choices they feel are best for their children. Davidsdad02 you wanted to tutor your DS yourself and he did well, but as has been said there are only a finite amount of places and many will be unlucky whether professionally tutored or taught by their parents.

Also I'm not so sure I agree with your view on the pointlessness of the DAO vr paper. Just because your DS scored100% (mine also scored highly when he took it) not all children do. We have friends whose children for various reasons, although bright did not make the grade for the other papers to be marked. It's just a way to save on marking loads of papers.

I don't think you can base everything on your experience. We all have to do what is best for our children who are all different.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now