Able versus prepared students

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Able versus prepared students

Post by ToadMum »

SleepyHead wrote: The headmaster at DD's school always commends those that win end of year prizes with their hard work not natural ability. For those that didn't win prizes he merely advises that their peers worked harder on that occasion. I couldn't agree more. It's so much more inspiring to know that hard work can change grades and outcomes.
SleepyHead
Does the school only reward what it perceives to be the result of hard work, rather than the actual result? I mean, is the prize "for working hard", not e.g. "for best piece of work"? Whichever, the comment about the winner having worked harder than the also-rans might be a bit depressing for those who actually work their socks off but who are never actually going to get the prize :(
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

DDs school rewards both effort and high results.

I see your point - school does reward both but also highlights those students that got high marks also achieved this through effort. So essentially there are effort prizes and results driven prizes. Writing it this way makes the effort prizes seem almost like consolation prizes but the parents and children honestly don't see it that way.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My DD1 then in Year 3 was unimpressed when the aggressive boy in her class was awarded a silver certificate for not hitting his classmates for a couple of weeks. She got a bronze, since she never hit anyone in the first place, and did loads of other helpful things, like was moved to sit between him and other kids who would retaliate, unlike her.

No doubt it was a supreme effort for him.

My other daughter gets many awards for never being ill.

They are pretty cynical about school awards.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

silverysea wrote: when the aggressive boy in her class was awarded a silver certificate for not hitting his classmates for a couple of weeks
:shock:

DD hasn't ever received any prizes - she hasn't been rewarded for anything despite her hard(ish) work and good (albeit not top) results. I guess she isn't hitting the 90%'s for the results driven prizes and her effort is fairly constant (again not oustanding,) so doesn't get noticed for that either.
mystery

Post by mystery »

We will start to worry if our children are awarded prizes at our current primary school. In reception my dd1 was disappointed that she never got the class stuffed toy to take home. After a few weeks she announced she knew how to be awarded it - be really naughty one day then offer to help the teacher loads the next day.

The academic prizes seem to be done on a similar basis.

But going back to the thread, I don't think schools can tell if a child is making an effort or not. It does not show on the face.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

At my daughter's primary school they rewarded those who tried hard at academic and similar, but those who were the best at sport. Which to a very bright child with a mild physical disability always seemed very hard. Similarly the best people got picked for the netball team, hilts everyone had to have turn at being on the chess team.

It seems to me that consistency of approach is what is needed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now