How much tutoring ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jiff

Re: How much tutoring ?

Post by Jiff »

Hallo mum38

Have you tried posting in the Bexley and Bromley section? - you might get some more specific answers and advice from people who took the Newstead test last year.
mum38

Post by mum38 »

Thank you all for your replies, time and specially hope as @ the school gates all the whispers are "get a tutor or don’t bother".

I’ve decided for now to take the DIY route, I received the books yesterday and we’ll slowly dive into this a little bit at a time. I’m confident about tutoring myself to a degree as I can make a little time each day although I do wonder if tutors know more behind the scenes advice how to fine tune tests etc...

My DD is in the top group of her class although I feel that's pretty irrelevant as she doesn’t get VR or NVR sadly. Hopefully a year will give us plenty of time to build up the skills although I do feel I have a lot to learn when it comes to the 11+ as so many things are new, filling in all the form etc feels like climbing a mounting in itself! (Now I might need to get myself a tutor for that! :oops: )

I should also start thinking about a plan B I guess!

I looked at other great grammar schools but they all are a lot of traveling time.

Would it also be completely unrealistic to try for an academic scholarship in a privet school? We have 3 great one close by but again I have heard lots of them give in-house priority. :shock:

Ok that’s my portion of 11+ stress done for the day, I’m sure there is plenty more to come …

luckily I can come here for a little reassurance for which again I thank you all!! :D
vanityfair

Post by vanityfair »

mum38 wrote:Thank you all for your replies, time and specially hope as @ the school gates all the whispers are "get a tutor or don’t bother".

I’ve decided for now to take the DIY route, I received the books yesterday and we’ll slowly dive into this a little bit at a time. I’m confident about tutoring myself to a degree as I can make a little time each day although I do wonder if tutors know more behind the scenes advice how to fine tune tests etc...

My DD is in the top group of her class although I feel that's pretty irrelevant as she doesn’t get VR or NVR sadly. Hopefully a year will give us plenty of time to build up the skills although I do feel I have a lot to learn when it comes to the 11+ as so many things are new, filling in all the form etc feels like climbing a mounting in itself! (Now I might need to get myself a tutor for that! :oops: )

I should also start thinking about a plan B I guess!

Would it also be completely unrealistic to try for an academic scholarship in a privet school? We have 3 great one close by but again I have heard lots of them give in-house priority. :shock:

Ok that’s my portion of 11+ stress done for the day, I’m sure there is plenty more to come …

luckily I can come here for a little reassurance for which again I thank you all!! :D
I have been doing the DIY route supplemented with a Saturday school. It requires dedication and discipline and is more than possible. You do need to research the schools you are aiming at in regards to the format of the exam, the exam provider etc. The results of your research on this will then determine the text book and test papers that will be most suitable for your needs.

As for private school scholarships, again, all possible and is competitive. Again do your research to see what the school is searching for amongst scholarship students. Does your child excel in a musical instrument? This could be a route in as schools both grammar and private often look for musicians of a certain calibre. You will need to invest in private music lessons; search around for tutors that prepare children for school entrance scholarships. Try and plan a time table for your tutoring even just to make sure that you cover all subjects say within maths. Remember that your child will by time of the exam need to be KS2 and border KS3 standard for English and Maths. Keep up with homework at school as the private schools will also ask for a detailed report about your childs performance come the time. OK, I will stop now as I am sure you have enough to think about for now.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

From my experience, its a team effort whichever route you go. I had enrolled DC1 and DC2 onto a tuition group (15 to 1) for 2.5 hours per week. So they were given all the relevant information , however, not the 1-1 attention that is required. Therefore, I spent a lot of time with them to help/guide them through their difficulties. It also gave me an opportunity to monitor their progress and focus on weaknesses. It was almost like not having a tutor.
So your decision of going the DIY route is sound, but, be warned it is a long road ahead.

HD
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

I have removed my original post ...
Last edited by diseyp on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What does the QMGS exam involve? Without you saying, it does not really help people work out if your experience could be applicable to them. Also, was your children's primary a good one, and were your children on much higher than average NC levels at school?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Diseyp, some of the schools that members are applying for really do require lots of preparation. Wait until results day and you will not see anyone on here posting that they did far too much work and got a place easily. I don't think your experience would have been so seamless if you have been trying for some of the superselectives in my area. QE boys exam today, I don't think one hour a week would get you anywhere near a place there. DG
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

and the reply ....
Last edited by diseyp on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

And this one......
Last edited by diseyp on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What and where is QMGS?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now