Anyone else's child having a massive wobble about the test?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Maddiebean

Anyone else's child having a massive wobble about the test?

Post by Maddiebean »

I've posted on the Kent forum but it's a bit quiet there!

Dd has been doing really well with practice papers but in the last week she's suddenly started panicking. She's getting 20% less than usual, can't finish any of the papers, says she's scared she's going to mess up the test. I'm hoping this is normal (ish)!

My question is, what now? Do we keep practising? Someone else suggested giving her some slightly easier papers to boost her confidence which I will do. I've kept a record of her score on each paper so should be easy to pick ones I know she can succeed on.

I don't want to completely over cook her but as the test is only 10 days away I don't feel like she should stop practising completely. We have a few low key fun things planned for the rest of the holiday (she seems quite tired) and I'm trying to gently get bedtime back to school time rather than holiday time (no success so far!)

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Hera

Re: Anyone else's child having a massive wobble about the te

Post by Hera »

I think it is quite common to have a bit of a dip. I am sure we did at some point in the holidays before the tests last year. Maybe just do some ten minute tests to ease off the pressure and then just do a couple of full papers a good few of days before the test. I think the week before the test last year we just revised some vocab and things like quantities etc for maths, all very low key. Different area to you, but don't worry it seems to happen to lots of kids from talking to others and in my own experience. Good luck!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Both my dc's seemed to go off the boil just before the exam. We ended up doing small amounts of practice, nothing too heavy. Possibly we just concentrated on weaker areas, 10 minute bond tests, etc.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

mm
Last edited by Yamin151 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vanityfair

Post by vanityfair »

My DDs first exam is on Monday, 2nd September. Her last practice test ended in tears and panic - she left out a block of questions which she said she just couldn't do. I calmed her down and put the problems to her again and she whizzed through them no problem. Normal it seems for some types of personalities. Today is funday movies eating out and the like and early to bed for tomorrow.
ginx

Post by ginx »

vanityfair,

having a funday today sounds the perfect thing to do, imho. Good luck for tomorrow. Think how glad you will be when tomorrow is over.

Good luck. :D
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

Wobbly wobbly here! I am sure it's natural but that doesn't help with the parental nerves!
Good luck to all x
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

mm
Last edited by Yamin151 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

We are very wobbly too! We are just going over some areas that need to be refreshed. I now have the attitude of what will be will be role on October when the results are in!

Good luck everyone.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

On test days, it's best to make sure you have plenty to do, to stop you worrying about the DC's doing their exams. The on Thursday, go out and celebrate - the sense of relief and freedom that its all over is lovely.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now