Calming activities before the test.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkus-Pinkus

Calming activities before the test.

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

In my opinion, a week before the Bucks test, this is a time for self esteem building, fun activities and calm.
Whispering to your child at night while they sleep can be a great way of improving self confidence. Tell them how clever they are and that they will feel relaxed and happy during the exam, tell them that they will be able to work fast and that their mind will be clear, etc. it taps into the unconscious mind and works a treat.
Use stories of triumph against adversity, to show how perseverance pays off. E.g Michael Morpurgo books are fab for this.
Help your DC to find a safe and calm place in his or her imagination. My Dd has a rainbow land with animals that give her gifts when she needs them such as confidence and a Jonga ( a shop keeper) who gives her potions that help her to succeed/ be calm anchor the safe place for your child by getting them to use a word or a pressing their fingers together every time they do it, then after doing this a few times, all they need to do is this and it will foster calm.
Last edited by Tinkus-Pinkus on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverysea

Re: Calming activities before the test.

Post by silverysea »

My DC prefer jokes and laughter, my DD2 has several catchphrases dating from early years that we all chant at regular intervals- This is the worst day of my life! I hate you! That is NOT for laughing!

My personal favourite is Now I will never know what Christmas is like! This was because her older sister scored a goal in football, and she didn't. Age 2.

She gets cross, then she laughs too at her younger self-how far she has come!

We all fail at lots of things, all the time. There's no avoiding it. The trick is to move on and make the most of what you get handed. The sooner we accept this, the more success we will find. Ten is a good age to start the growing up in attitude.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Yes jokes are great and lots of physical exercise too, it amazes your brain work better. No brain fug from too many hours sitting in front of the TV or computer or too many hours doing papers at this stage.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Physical exercise that they enjoy helps to calm and aids sleep.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ear plugs are good.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Suggesting to DS2 that he read something uplifting by M. Morpurgo Esq. to put him in the correct frame of mind for the 11+ is likely to result in him refusing to take it at all...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

We love Monsieur Morpurgo. The books are a roller coaster ride but they show that perseverance and keeping at it pays off. Dds favourite being alone in the wide wide sea. She loves sailing and says she is going to sail to Austalia in her gap year. Nothing like thinking ahead. Dd finds them a great distraction and although sad a positive influence.
Amber

Post by Amber »

If I had tried whispering to my child while asleep I would most likely have been confronted with a shrieking child and a 'That is really creepy! Get OUT of my room!'
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Amber wrote:If I had tried whispering to my child while asleep I would most likely have been confronted with a shrieking child and a 'That is really creepy! Get OUT of my room!'
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did wonder what my DS would say if he caught me!
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

We shall be having a very lazy family evening, relaxing bath and an early night.

Good luck everyone!