New Year 7s

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

New Year 7s

Post by KS10 »

Well, we're 2 weeks in and, sadly, I don't see any evidence that DD is miraculously becoming super-organised. They operate a 2-week timetable at her school so I decided that for the first two weeks I would help her by checking that she'd completed her homework and by checking her bag to make sure that her books were all there. The following occurred:

- bag packed the night before, but pencil case taken out for some reason and not put back
- PE kit packed but no trainers
- homework completed on laptop but not printed, yet ticked to say it was done so no hwk in book
- maths hwk done but not packed
- forgot her lunch and had to come running back
- left the house in her slippers and didn't notice until I said something
- left the house in her trainers because her school shoes were upstairs in her PE bag (again, she didn't notice)

Now, I realise that she may have been a bit blase because she knew I'd be checking for the first 2 weeks. I really hope it has highlighted some of the pitfalls for her. She is definitely on her own next week. This ought to be interesting.
Hera

Re: New Year 7s

Post by Hera »

My DS lost his whole school bag on Monday with oyster card, books, phone, emergency fund, basically everything and had to be rescued. He thought he had left it on the pavement at the top of Shepherds Road at lunch time and forgotton to pick it up as he had 2 bags with him. We searched but couldn't find it. After a tense night someone had handed it back into school and he got it back the next day. We have lost 2 rulers and 3 water bottles so far though. Although no excuse there is a lot for them to take on board in the first few weeks. Does anyone have experience of fitting mouth guards. We missed the dental fitting one at the school and have tried to self fit 4 and they all fall out. He wore one yesterday and it made his gums bleed. Are they all like this or am I doing someting wrong?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Ha ha, your post made me laugh.....especially the slippers!

My DD's only mishap was getting off the school bus a stop too early on the first day....which had me running after the bus as it sailed past me. Luckily my mobile phone started ringing and DD told me she was walking up to meet me! Phew!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Hera, we did the self fit one two years ago with no problem at all. Worked first time. He still uses it now......thinking now, perhaps it's time for a new one! :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Awww,bless her, give her the first half term, it is a really stressy, growing up quickly, time, and she is probably subliminaly concentrating more on the social side at the moment. ( although getting on the bus in slippers may kill that stone dead for a few years).
Ds forgot his gum shield for games in the second half term, the punishment was running the whole field, for the whole games lesson, that focused his mind.......harsh!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My DS has actually done much better than I expected. He is dyspraxic so I thought organisation would be a nightmare. He checks his planner and packs his bag. He has kept his bus ticket the whole week and has started to fasten his shirt buttons himself rather than me doing the top button for him. he has moslty done his homework although we had a panic one morning when he realised he ad forgotten to write a poem we got something together quickly. He askes me to help him with some of his homework but I think he finds it difficult to read a screen to find out info, translate it into his own words and then write it. If I read the screen for him he seems to manage better at thinking what to write.
I have translated his timetable into a form we can easily understand, sticky back plasticed his exercise books after sticking some title labels with name , form and subject on them as those are things I know he struggles with. We have a copy of the improved timetable on the kitchen wall, on his desk and in his planner.
I was a bit sad yesterday when he came home almost in tears -some other kids had been acting "friendly" on the bus but were really laughing at him - luckily DD was on the bus and could see what was happening and used her best distraction techniques to take the pressure off DS. Hope it does not become a regular issue.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Should also say i had organised my DS to have one of the opro gumshields fitted at school but was not called for his impression. I called opro and they sent me a kit to do the impression at home....not a problem when your mum is a dentist( for various reasons unable to sort this out at work :( I would say the kit and the instructiosn were very good and straight forw.ard to do
Amber

Post by Amber »

There are not many perks to living with a dentist, but one is that the mouth guard fittings take place in our own kitchen. He's done them for friends in school car parks and even the car!

(I would say this wouldn't I but..) don't get the self fit ones, they won't cut the mustard in a nasty ball/stick strike. Go to your dentist. It won't cost any more than the school ones do but you have a bit more comeback if it's not comfortable.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I was a bit sad yesterday when he came home almost in tears -some other kids had been acting "friendly" on the bus but were really laughing at him - luckily DD was on the bus and could see what was happening and used her best distraction techniques to take the pressure off DS. Hope it does not become a regular issue.
:( Not nice! How much older is your DD?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

He's done them for friends in school car parks and even the car!
Next time he's passing... :D
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now